keeping a boat in PORTUGAL.

Wansworth

Visit site
Are there any pitfalls or headbashing problems to mooring a yacht in Portugal .I would not be a Resident,but the boat would be moored all year there...in theory!

david36

Visit site
Keeping a boat in Southern Portugal is generally great. We have had the boat there for over two years. 9 key points:
Pick the sort of marina that suits your needs - they vary a lot. Prices also vary greatly.
The availability of frequent, cheap flights you can get onto is vital and varies a lot.
There is a general lack of well-stocked chandlers. Prices of most non-local manufactured kit is high, MRP at least, and availability is poor.
Expert technical services are scarce. They do exist but need finding and delays can be long, especially in high season. When you find it the hourly rates are reasonable. Pay in cash!
Once you are there for more than 180 days in a year you are liable for a tax. My 37ft sloop costs approx 148 euros pa. The tax is applied with various degrees of enthusiasm by local towns but more and more checks are made each year. Some cheapskates avoid paying it by avoiding ports and marinas in August and Sept when most checks are undertaken.
Late July and most of August are very busy and expensive in marinas and towns in general although you will get into most marinas if you are prepared to pay. The size of boat which has most problems finding spaces in busy periods is 40ft to 46ft.
Your boat paperwork needs to be in order as it will be checked every time you enter a marina.
Do not try to import any kit from outside the EU; never mind what the rules are, the real ones ie the ones in use, make it a nightmare.

Despite all the above I recommend the area.

Good luck

freedom44

Visit site
I kept my 44ft boat over winter at Faro at "Bruces" yard. Excellent value, good security and communications ( a stones throw from the airport flight path) but don't throw one as you may bring a plane down! Very safe new cradles on new concrete, bit "ify" abloution block but upgrade promised. Very nice guy tel 00351 919317171 speaks good english.
I "dry sailed" mine as I had to come back in August and leaving her at any of the nearby marinas was prohibative, so he took her out for the middle 6 weeks and put her back in for a short autumn stint before winterisning her. Some livaboards/ english speaking locals, so good friendly atmosphere.
Beware Oliho (?) as athough supposidly cheap/free, no security and difficult local politics.

Diamondkim

Visit site
Hi I have just read your post and great to read it. We want to buy a boat and keep it in Portugal maybe Lagos marina as we have been told it is very nice. The trouble bike is we know NOTHING about boats (motor homes yes boats nothing) any tips you can suggest would be a great help. Here's hoping. Thank you.

srm

Visit site
I have kept my boat in the Azores (Portugal) since 2014. Have had all papers checked (including light dues) plus flares and fire extinguishers when checking in to one marina (not my home base).
My experience is:
If a person spend more than three months they need to register residence here in the fourth month, either EU or none EU, the rules are different.
Provided an individual does not exceed 183 days in any calendar year and do not own property (land or house) in the country they will not have to notify income for tax.
If the boat is in the country for more than 180 days Circulation Tax, calculated on engine power has to be paid. Here in Terceira the customs have a list of all boats in the marinas and check that the tax is paid. This year they were asking some boats for reciepts going back 5 years. Payment of the tax was easy; 1 st year take Boat's Registration and passport to the local finance office with no requirement for a personal tax number. Following years take all papers, but present last year's receipt so they can simply copy the data.
You may also need to pay the lighthouse tax at the port office. They will try to charge top rate, but if you are only cruising locally the rates are lower depending on your range. I had to show my insurance certificate as evidence that I did not intend to go beyond the Azores. (About 11 euro against 52 euro tax).

Being Portugal the way and extent that regulations are applied or enforced can change from one individual officer to the next. All officials expect to be treated with courtesy, and in turn I have found all to be friendly and helpful while doing their job. On the other hand I did hear of one British owner who decided to argue his case over VAT on returning from the Caribbean. He may have been right but his agressive attitude resulted in an ultimatum: pay up or leave in 72 hours.

If you stay long enough, or get involved in buying property, you will have to learn to be patient and accept that Portuguese bureaucracy is a game played with an infinity of subtle and unwritten rules.

That said, the islands are very pleasant and laid back.

Visit site
Hi I have just read your post and great to read it. We want to buy a boat and keep it in Portugal maybe Lagos marina as we have been told it is very nice. The trouble bike is we know NOTHING about boats (motor homes yes boats nothing) any tips you can suggest would be a great help. Here's hoping. Thank you.

This is our 2nd winter in Lagos and its a great place...not the cheapest but for location, protection, winter climate, facilities and community its difficult to beat.... as a result however unlike last year, this year its been pretty full and we have heard they have turned people away.... all services are available, two good local chandlers, one of which Sopromar whilst definitely not the cheapest is huge and gets bigger every week... also Portimao is a few miles down the coast with more facilities there ..its a great place and gives easy access to an excellent cruising ground ...we keep our papers and "light dues Tax" all up to date and have been visited a few times by the Maritime Police but I have never been questioned on the length of time I have been in the country or any mention of other taxes as mentioned by posters above...infact the only problem we have found here and the Algarve in general is that often mentioned "Velcro factor"...but this summer we are forcing ourselves to move on...for now at least.

Oh and don't forget if you are Cruising Association members you qualify for discounts at the marina and sopromar..

Tranona

Visit site

As you will have read from others there is nothing (at least for now) that makes living on a boat in Portugal difficult. However, there is a huge leap between knowing nothing about boats let alone sailing one to Portugal and living on it.

So, scroll down this forum and you will find your basic question comes up regularly and the thread are full of information and sources of information (books, blogs, magazine articles etc) that will answer most of your questions.

Not everybody goes about it the same way, influenced by age, budget, attitude to risk, timescales etc. However it is sensible first to find out if you like sailing, followed quickly by learning about different types of boats and what they are like both to sail distances and live on at sea and anchor. without being too prescriptive you need to find ways of at least experiencing these things, probably through a combination of RYA course, crewing on other peoples' boats and perhaps taking a flotilla holiday in a hot climate.

tcm

Visit site
PORTUGAL pronunciation for newbies

Can we get the pronunciation right, please? I’m sure it will help...

Say “poach” as in “poached eggs”. Now say “Gull” as in “seagull”

Now, one then the other “Poach’ gull”

Perfect!

Visit site
Re: PORTUGAL pronunciation for newbies

Can we get the pronunciation right, please? I’m sure it will help...

Say “poach” as in “poached eggs”. Now say “Gull” as in “seagull”

Now, one then the other “Poach’ gull”

Perfect!

I suppose that might be understood in the Caribbean but it sounds strange to my Portuguese ears.

Heckler

Visit site
Are there any pitfalls or headbashing problems to mooring a yacht in Portugal .I would not be a Resident,but the boat would be moored all year there...in theory!

I arrived at Bruces Yard in Faro 3 years ago, top bloke. Then Spent a year in Albufeira marina. They do deals, member of anything? RYA, CA? 15% off immediately. Heard the stories of bureaucracy, never got pulled. Paid my light dues every 6months, all of 2 euros! Make sure you go to Ayamonte at least every 6 months, avoids the tax ON THE BOAT!
Take plenty of spares although we carried stuff in ok. Cracking place. Enjoy
Stu

GrahamM376

Visit site
Once you are there for more than 180 days in a year you are liable for a tax. My 37ft sloop costs approx 148 euros pa. The tax is applied with various degrees of enthusiasm by local towns but more and more checks are made each year. Some cheapskates avoid paying it by avoiding ports and marinas in August and Sept when most checks are undertaken.

You actually pay it?:) Everyone I know just pays the Taxa de Farolagem e Balizagem (light dues) which is €11,50 p.a. in our case as we declare just "coastal" use only. The circulation tax you most likely refer to comes under Finances (tax authority) and no-one, except the tax man, is interested in that.

To the OP, Portugal is a great place to be with daily living costs way below the UK. The west coast can have summer fog and many ports can close due to high swell but there are plenty of nice places to visit if you're held up by weather. Once on the Algarve, there are several marinas but, just over the border, Ayamonte in Spain, is cheaper. Lagos is too noisy for us, a bit little England with Sky Sports in noisy bars so we tend to just go there out of season. Plenty of info on various threads below.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Maybe further west, but Vila Real marina on the Portuguese side is actually far cheaper than Ayamonte.

Yes it is but with the tide running through it, can be difficult docking/leaving and also very exposed in winter gales. Albufeira possibly the safest Portuguese marina for leaving boats unattended for long periods. Having a free (except for maintenance) mooring we only bother with marinas occasionally as prefer to anchor.