Keel cable humming

Swingkeel

Visit site
I need a solution. I have a Catalina 22 swingkeel that has a steel uphaul (keel cable) attached to the rear of the swing keel and the other end is attached to a winch inside the boat. When under sail and especially to windward, you lower away. However, in running and in shoals you can lift it up. Gets you into all those creeks etc. The keel cable was replaced this season and I've noticed that there is now an annoying hum. When the keel is down, the keel cable seems to be vibrating due to water turbulence, whether under tension or not? The handbook says to winch up sufficient cable until the noise stops. But the problem is that it doesn't seem to stop no matter how much is wound in! I can't seem to find a thread on this but it probably has been discussed before. Apologies in advance. Ideas or point me in the right direction. Ta!

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Simon,

Did you replace the pivot pin when you replaced the cable? if not, check the clearance / fit, it should be tight to prevent vibration.

Hope this helps. . . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Swingkeel

Visit site
Hi there,
If you mean the bronze pin in the keel? Yes that had worn so the keel and keel hangers were re bored and a new pin inserted for this season. So there's no movement there.
To me, it just seems the wire is acting like a guitar string and being strummed by the passing water when the keel is fully down... Tricky one!

Happy sailing
SK

<hr width=100% size=1>

surekandoo

Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Esse
Visit site
had same problem with Jaguar 25, but it stopped if we allowed the lift wire to go slack. Is the cable touching anything where it comes up to the winch, which is vibrating in sympathy and extenuating the problem? Is the cable thicker than the one you replaced? It could be stiffer and more prone to this type of problem. Have you tried feeling the cable near the winch whilst sailing to see if you can do anything there.

Of course you could try sailing slowly!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Swingkeel

Visit site
Thanks for that! Yes, the keel cable is thicker than the old one, by about double! So there's the answer, I suppose. But I'll have a fiddle whilst under sail and see if it goes away if cable is really slack. Bloody nusiance though, it's like the opening few bars of Black Sabbath's LP ..Masters of reality... Only the faithfull will know!
Cheers for the ideas.
SK

<hr width=100% size=1>