KAMD44 or KAD 44 Cruising Fuel Consumption

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone out there has any litre per hour figures for this engine. I have the KAMD44 and it is difficult for me to work this out from tank fills and I do not have a flow meter readout.
I cruise at 3200 rpm and would guess that consumption would be around 30-40 litres per hour.
Any figures or info appreciated.
Matt

NBs

Visit site
Hi,

KAD44 does not have any power curves on the Volvo.

Max consumption of 58 liters per hour. Consumption also depends on which boat and whether you have the right propulsion.

My old boat 38' 2 x when 44 edc and consumption 80 liters per hour rmp 3400 and at a rate of 25 kn, 1300 rmp 7 kn and a consumption of 1.3 liters / nm.

I remember seeing tests of KAD44 wear with Botnia Targa and Windy boats. I believe your assessment is in the right direction.

kamd consumption maybe a little more because it is an axle, but maintenance costs are lower in the axle, so it doesn't matter.

NBs

BruceK

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone out there has any litre per hour figures for this engine. I have the KAMD44 and it is difficult for me to work this out from tank fills and I do not have a flow meter readout.
I cruise at 3200 rpm and would guess that consumption would be around 30-40 litres per hour.
Any figures or info appreciated.
Matt

You dont want the info, trust me. Just fill it, use it. That way any pain is regulated to short moments of ouch's and long moments of weeeeeeee.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Part of it is that I do not entirely trust my fuel gauge accuracy and given that I know the size of the tank I can then work out my range left in the tank from the consumption.
Specifically, we went to Scilly last year - about 75 miles from my mooring in the Fal. My tank according to Aquador is 675 litres so motoring to Scilly over four and a half hours even at 50lph would be about 225l but the gauge showed a little over quarter full. The weather was breaking so we headed back early the next day but I threw 150l in the tank just to err on the side of caution. We had wind and seas on the port bow and 5kts of tide on the nose rounding the Lizard. I didn't want to take any chances.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I was using simple logic in that our tractors have 6.5l Iveco engines churning out about 210hp at 1950rpm. They burn about 35-38lph when running at 100% load, so I figured that plus a bit for the KAMD44 at 260hp, hence my guess at around 40lph.
The other thing that I need to do is confirm the tank size. It is full of diesel bug so I have guys coming out next week to polish and scrub. I will see how much comes out of the tank compared to the gauge reading. Luckily she is in my grain shed and not on the water.

Momac

Visit site
I wouldn't rely on a part full gauge reading from a VDO fuel gauge (usually associated with Volvo Penta kad engines) in order to calculate the total fuel capacity.
I don't let the fuel level fall into the red reserve zone at which I suspect there is a quarter of a tank remaining. But I prefer not to see the gauge below the half mark.
Not sure why you feel a need to confirm the tank capacity when you know it from the Aquador data .

kashurst

Visit site
I used to have a rodman 38 fly with twin KAMD 300s. At 18 knots, clean bum, 3200 rpm it burned 75 - 80 litres an hour. So your guesstimate is pretty good.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I wouldn't rely on a part full gauge reading from a VDO fuel gauge (usually associated with Volvo Penta kad engines) in order to calculate the total fuel capacity.
I don't let the fuel level fall into the red reserve zone at which I suspect there is a quarter of a tank remaining. But I prefer not to see the gauge below the half mark.
Not sure why you feel a need to confirm the tank capacity when you know it from the Aquador data .
The problem is that I have no Aquador paperwork with the boat and she was built in 1999 so finding out is difficult. I have seen different figures quoted for tank size in brokers' details so I am working on the most common figure of 675l. As I am having the tank drained and scrubbed it will be a good opportunity to check out fuel volumes, levels and tank readings when I refill her.