Just some nice footage with dramatic music but no chitchat

FirstinLastout

Visit site
Thanks for posting OP!
Great couple of videos with fantastic footage & sailing . Up there with NBJS.

Anyone identify the boat they are using?

dunedin

Visit site
Amazing video.
Definitely now got drone envy - my Mavic Mini has taken some great photos, but the quality of the pictures is nothing like theirs. (Though their talent and creativity is in another league also. And oh for the days when I could lift an anchor chain by hand for a 35 footer!)
On the bright side I have been to most of these locations at some point in the last decade, albeit still puzzling to spot some of the exact locations.

Concerto

Visit site
Amazing video.
Definitely now got drone envy - my Mavic Mini has taken some great photos, but the quality of the pictures is nothing like theirs. Though their talent and creativity is in another league.
I choose the DJI Mini 2 drone as it can record in 4K, so clarity will be stunning. I did consider the cheaper DJI Mini SE, but the camera quality was poorer along with a few features I thought worthwhile having.

westhinder

Visit site
This excellent video has been costly for me. Those aerial shots are stunning. In a few days I am heading north up the East Coast for a Round Britian including the Shetland Islands. Today I bought a DJI Mini 2 Fly More Drone Combo and 128GB video card. Not sure when I will get a real chance to test it out. I will certainly will capture plenty of veiws of Concerto sailing, entering some harbours, trips in the dinghy and walks ashore. I will create a number of short videos whilst on the trip which I hope will temp some of you to do the same trip at some time in the future.
I will be interested to hear your experience in launching and retrieving the drone at sea. Does it have a setting that follows the operator rather than returns to the position where it was launched?

Concerto

Visit site
I will be interested to hear your experience in launching and retrieving the drone at sea. Does it have a setting that follows the operator rather than returns to the position where it was launched?
Yet to try setting up as I have more important priorities at present. The three batteries should be charged tomorrow and then the controller as well. I need to download on to my phone the DJI App to control the drone and then I will be good to go.

The drone has a return to base feature, where the base is the controller not where it was launched. If the battery that lasts 31 minutes is getting low it will automatically return to base and you can still direct it in needs be. Initially I will be testing it on land and get used to the controls. Full details of the drone are here:
Buy DJI Mini 2 - DJI Store

These are the video tutorials and the first flight one is very detailed and worth watching to understand the capabilities of this drone.
Support for DJI Mini 2 - DJI

The first times I fly from the Concerto, she will be static in the water, as I want to ensure I can land it easily on either the coachroof or foredeck and avoiding the rigging and lifelines. It is my intention to avoid the water at all costs as that would be a very expensive mistake. I will certainly start a new thread of my experiences with some video shots.

From all my reading, and a personal recommendation from forumite Bigplumbs who uses the same drone, DJI are the market leaders for drones. Everything I have seen online and out of the box confirms this is no toy, but a very serious piece of kit.

lustyd

Visit site
can land it easily on either the coachroof or foredeck
You won’t be able to do this safely. You need to catch the drone with your hand and quickly turn it upside down to switch off the motors. It’s pretty easy, some YouTubers attach a stick to the drone with epoxy to make it easier at sea though.

Hermit

Visit site
You won’t be able to do this safely. You need to catch the drone with your hand and quickly turn it upside down to switch off the motors. It’s pretty easy, some YouTubers attach a stick to the drone with epoxy to make it easier at sea though.
Agree. I have a DJI Phantom 3 which I bought because it has large skids underneath to allow me to catch it easily. Only tried it once underway so far (profile picture is a still from it). Takes some practice (and nerve!)

ashtead

Visit site
Do any drones have life jackets or float etc to recover? I guess Concerto won’t have traps fitted as yet to catch the drone but do I see another video in planning on drone catching maybe.

lustyd

Visit site
You may be underestimating the speed of the blades. Don't use a net as it has huge potential for damage. You can't switch off the motors during flight so they will be spinning when you pull the net up to the drone. Catching and turning is a well trodden path, YouTube is full of tutorials from experts.

Frogmogman

Visit site
You may be underestimating the speed of the blades. Don't use a net as it has huge potential for damage. You can't switch off the motors during flight so they will be spinning when you pull the net up to the drone. Catching and turning is a well trodden path, YouTube is full of tutorials from experts.
Fair enough. Scratch the net idea.

I just liked the idea of concerto hopping about on his deck waving a large net like some crazed lepidopterist.