Just seen on TV. Yacht radio transmitting on Ch 16

Becky

Visit site
and as the CG couldn't contact them a helicopter was sent out.

The yacht was a few miles N of Guernsey.

The skipper said the radio was faulty. Just got turned off in time for a mayday to be heard! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyone hear it, or any more info?

Who was it? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woodentop

Visit site
MCA Press Release Here;
MCA Press Release

I think a helicopter like this costs a few thousand an hour to run (all costs included) so it was expensive but necessary to "re-open"n Ch 16.

(The funniest bit was hearing a voice on Ch 16 saying "A helicopter is flying over us" - Who needs direction finding/homing with reactions like that.)

It happens quite often but this was a bad one.
Whether it was a faulty radio or poor stowage I do not know.

(Once upon a time there was a similar situation where the cleaner in a pub had moved a plant pot so it was pressing up against the microphone switch on the VHF behind the bar - detective work solved that one. Many people drink on boats but few have to pay cash for each round.)

RestlessL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It happens quite often but this was a bad one.

[/ QUOTE ]

and made worse, I suspect, by the radio being left on high power.

alan_d

Visit site
I was interested to discover that my new VHF (SH GX1500E) is programmed to stop after transmitting continuously for a set time (I think it is 20 minutes), presumably to deal with this problem. Do all DSC sets do this?

Alan

Observer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and made worse, I suspect, by the radio being left on high power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ch 16 is automatically high power (only), I believe.

SunyBay

www.swnymor.com
[ QUOTE ]

Ch 16 is automatically high power (only), I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have both high and low power on Ch16, at least on our VHF set. You, as the user, have to chose which power setting you want. This may not be true for all VHF sets, of course, but I think it probably is for the majority. Although it may be the case that it automatically comes up as being on high power and then you have to chose for it to be on low power.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
A couple of years ago i committed a similar faux pas in the Solent, with the mic in the cockpit. I was alerted by the Vernturers RIB out of Beaulieu.

I phoned up the CG - I wasnt going to broadcast over Ch 16! - to give my details in case they wanted to take further action.

They thanked me for my call, on the basis that very few other people own up, and told me no further action would be taken.

Learned my lesson though - it wont happen again!

jac

Visit site
Never done it continuously but had thought had changed to 80 to contact a marina and hadn't - got the embarrasing message back....

Most annoying thing about the report was the BBC south news woman. She was shown on an inside steering position of a 50 foot motor boat explaining a VHF and was wearing a life jacket. She was down below. In a harbour. Fair enough if she genuinely felt concerned about it but the BBC seem to continually insist on its reporters looking like idiots when even near water.

Do you think they make them wear them in the bath??

AlanRD

Visit site
There was a report on BBC Breakfast earlier in the year when a reporter was clearly standing in a stream only 6" deep. Being the Beeb he was wearing a life jacket.

H&S gone mad or good sense? I think the former. It was so funny I didn't listen to what he was saying.