Just done sea survival/first aid courses.

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re:Yeah BUT!

Thats not the only reason to do this course is it?

Lot's of us sail boats with safety equipment that we have only the slightest idea how it will work for us. Some of the ideas we do have are just plain wrong.

I.E. Levels of equipment inside the liferaft pack or the level of effort required to get into the thing in the first place.

Two of the guys on the course were going to row the Atlantic. many of the others were either RORC guys going for the Fastnet ( it's compulsory for them ) or Commercial Endorsment/Instructor ( it's compulsory for them ).

We all agreed that having endured the warm flat waters of the pool taught us drills that improved our chances in the real thing.

I can't imagine doing this for the first time, in the dark cold waters we sail on with even a modest chop going.

<hr width=100% size=1>

GeorgeP

Visit site
Liferafts

The practical part of the course made the most impact on me. I wouldn't want to get in one of those rafts unless the mother ship was under water. Like you say, imagine what it's like at sea, in a real emergency! I guess that's why the saying, "Only step up to a liferaft" arose. At least it gives us some idea what we would have to do.

I'd recommend them to anyone who goes offshore.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site

It was the combination of 1st Aid and Sea Survival that made me ask the question, out of interest you understand.

If you want to experience what it is like in a liferaft under sea conditions I recommend the 2 days Merchant Navy Survival Course part of which requires you to swim about 50 yards to the liferaft, help an 'injured' person into it and then sit there for about an hour. We used to do that bit every Friday morning at the former Plymouth School of Maritime Studies with some interesting results!! The course finished with a return to port about 5 miles in a totally enclosed lifeboat with even more interesting results.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Karlvw

Visit site
Did a sea survival course earlier this year. Hadn't realised how hard it was to get in or how hot they became inside. Highly recommended if only to make you realise how little one knows about using them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cgull

Visit site

ever had to really put out a fire on board with extinguisher, and in a confined cabin.? Again, the real event is quite an experience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Laurin

Visit site
Re: Liferafts

Just did the course at Lowestoft yesterday. Excellend facilities.... dark, waves, wind, rain, noise!!! Also as well as the one day course, they will hire out the tank and 2 instructors for £600 for 4 hours, as many people as you want. There were about 12 of us for 2 hours and we coudn't do too much more so you could probably take about 20 and pay £30 per head for a taster/refresher. Seems like a good idea to me!

<hr width=100% size=1>