just a dream maybe?

traceyandsteve

Visit site
We keep reading about you people that set of and think its great, fair play to you all !!

We have a princess motor boat that we live aboard 75% of the time and dream about setting of, however is it possible to do this sort of thing in a motor boat ? are there others in motor boats and do you find it too costly to do much cruising etc.

We do a lot around the channel island and europe etc, but would love to just get up and go.........

Insperation from others that have done this required please

thanks

tracey & steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
Cant help you with stink boat costs other than suggest you look on their forum.
The only other helpfull advice is go for it. I only wish we had started years ago before I became a boring old fart!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://homepages.rya-online.net/kahawi/>here</A> for two who have. Colin and Urszula (at one time CRB on these forums) have been cruising their motor boat around Europe for a year now, intending to go further afield in years to come.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
dont see why lack of sails would stop you. going transatlantic would be difficult (but not impossible) but the european coasts, canals and the med would be no problem.

duty free diesel isn't available in many places outside the uk but in some countries you can get it on departure as long as you take enough. we teamed up with other boats on several occasions to take the requisite 500 gallons or whatever the minimum was.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Certainly the meddy is no problem, fuel could get expensive, but it depends on how fast you want to travel. Atlantic, er no, you couldn't carry enough fuel and she is not the boat for it. But you could put her on a ship, they do that all the time. In short, go for it, you'll never look back. Best of luck with your dream!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if a princess 470 is 47 ft long i wouldn't rule it out for transsatlantic, especially via the tradewind route. we were overtaken by a stinkie of about that size between bermuda & the azores, making around 8 knots. economical revs and lots of cans and you could do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
No, you're quite right at 47 feet, I also wouldn't rule it out, but with 430hp volvos and even at eight knots, they would need an awful lot of fuel. Lets say 8 knots from the cape verdes to barbados, about 1750 miles. 8 gals an hour, that's 1750 gallons of fuel without reserves, say an even 2250, allowing for generator, safety etc. That's a bunch of 45 gal drums on deck/cockpit etc or even bag tanks. I would not want to think about the problems if something failed. I also wouldn't like to think about facing an atlantic squall in one either, but yes, I wouldn't rule it out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

well dude
i live and work here in marbella, spain. my boat is in gibraltar. (yacht) There are quite a few people living on board gas guzzlers there. I always feel bad noing i have to leave gib every sunday to get back for work. those livaboard people have a lovely life down there. cheap gas also. do it

<hr width=100% size=1>

traceyandsteve

Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It's really just a dream at the moment, but something we might think about doing in a few years time. We're also thinking about maybe selling out boat here and then buying another one overseas somewhere so that we're already partly there!

Anyway, thanks again. Very helpful advice.

Cheers

Tracey & Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>