Jolly Jacks , Mayflower Marina , Plymouth

jakeroyd

Visit site
Those berthed in the marina will know 'Astras' ceased trading during the winter. 'Jolly Jacks opened on May 2nd , I think , in the old 'Astras' premises , no connection to the old business AFAIK.
Had ameal there last Thursday.
I can say I though it was pretty good. Prices about the same as before , not cheap , but not so expensive you are put off.
They are keping the meanu relatively brief , say 6 starters and 6 mains , plus the odd special on the blackboard.
So going by first impressions we will be going there again.

BlueChip

Visit site
Those berthed in the marina will know 'Astras' ceased trading during the winter. 'Jolly Jacks opened on May 2nd , I think , in the old 'Astras' premises , no connection to the old business AFAIK.
Had ameal there last Thursday.
I can say I though it was pretty good. Prices about the same as before , not cheap , but not so expensive you are put off.
They are keping the meanu relatively brief , say 6 starters and 6 mains , plus the odd special on the blackboard.
So going by first impressions we will be going there again.

I've been stuck in Plymouth for some time now waiting for an end to the 7's in the forecast.
We've eaten there three times, consistently very good, in fact excellent and highly recomended.
As you say not cheap but high standards and very good value, the Megrem Sole was my favourite but the crab was a close second and I saw someone with the seafood platter and that looked excellent.
I only wish these people would relocate to Haslar.

Boreades

Visit site
On the +ve side, Jolly Jacks has installed free WiFi, which is Jolly Useful if you need to catch on emails, etc while having a cup of coffee.

On the -ve side, they've not got a snack or children's menu any more. Which my children were not pleased with, so we rarely eat there any more.

ThomasW

Visit site
I've been to Jolly Jacks when I was in my 20s and fresh out of the US Navy. Got blackout drunk and met some good ole boys. We had a great night but me, the next morning, not so much haha. Massive hangover but nothing some brunch couldn't fix!

KeithMD

Visit site
I heard a rumour they closed a while ago, which saddened me as I had always enjoyed it there.
The closure confirmed (perhaps) by their website that says "under new management, opening 26th February".
I'm presuming that means this year 2023?

ashtead

Visit site
I wonder how many Jacks bars there are around the world -Jacks bar on Princess Margaret’s beach is very pricey but worth trying if anchored up in the admiralty bay. Weather somewhat better than Plymouth for sitting outside.🤣

KeithMD

Visit site
Well, #1 Daughter and I visited Mayflower Marina yesterday, to do some work on the boat. We were thinking of going in to Jolly Jacks, to see what the new owner(s) and menu is like. We'd noticed the marina car park was strangely full for a wet day in March, then we discovered why. Looking through the windows, we saw it was full and busy with lots of smartly dressed non-boaty people. Sadly though, we were only wearing our scruffiest working-on-boat clothes, oldest & dirtiest boat shoes, and soaking wet from a sudden downpour. Feeling sadly out of place, we got in our car and drove away. :(
Maybe we'll try again on a dry sunny day, mid-week, when we've got smarter clothes on?
;)

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Well, #1 Daughter and I visited Mayflower Marina yesterday, to do some work on the boat. We were thinking of going in to Jolly Jacks, to see what the new owner(s) and menu is like. We'd noticed the marina car park was strangely full for a wet day in March, then we discovered why. Looking through the windows, we saw it was full and busy with lots of smartly dressed non-boaty people. Sadly though, we were only wearing our scruffiest working-on-boat clothes, oldest & dirtiest boat shoes, and soaking wet from a sudden downpour. Feeling sadly out of place, we got in our car and drove away. :(
Maybe we'll try again on a dry sunny day, mid-week, when we've got smarter clothes on?
;)
A place of replenishment in a boatyard/marina is fair game for antifoul coloured clothes/hair etc in the recommissioning season, I am never concerned to nudge in beside the Gucci handbags and stilletos…..it gives the Porsche and Range Rover drivers that oh-so-valuable feeling of authenticity, rather like sitting beside Jack Rolfe in the Elephant boatyard cafe…..they’ll feel like they’re ‘mucking in’!