Jings - whit a sail

claymore

Visit site
Left Fleetwood at around 10:00 Tuesday morning with a very optimistic Glenarm pencilled into the destination in the Log.
Wind still definately in the NW and blowing 24 knots steady of apparent - Morecambe Bay at its finest as we crashed into boatstoppers and generally contemplated our options. Eventually decided that we wouldn't make the IOM never mind Nornairln so bore away a couple of points and headed to Whitehaven which proved a sound move. (Identical tactic to last year's decision to make for Colonsay on the Chents Cruise)
Whitehaven is an interesting place - Played rugby there as a callow youth and last sailed into there to escape a gale about 25 years ago. Big changes in that the marina is in with a lock that took some sorting out - i couldn't see the way in!.
Wednesday morning came out into Bright sunshine and caught the ebb from the Solway which swished us along in fine style around the Mull of Galloway and into Portpatrick - averaged around 7 knots for the trip and so drink was taken to celebrate.
Thursday was a stunner of a sail - SE again and made the most of the tides to get right up to Craighouse in around 9 hours. Seemed a good reason to take drink. We were the only boat in Craighouse - never known that ever. Went alongside the Pier and had a very pleasant evening - having dined sumptuously we wandered along to the Jura Hotel which seemed to be inhabited by fat bottomed girls - midgies making there presence felt which surprised me - thought it was a bit soon for the wee divils.
Friday we took the last of the ebb and then got flushed pleasantly northwards - again in Sun and South-Easterly breeze to arrive in God's Corner at around 16:00.
Muzzy had a birthday so we took some chilled champers which was awfully pleasant and dined in the Culfail which was fine.
Dear Heart arrived about 10:00 pm and we left Saturday morning for the drive home.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Sounds like a guid sail. DaveS was hingin' aboot for a couple of days, but missed you. We're still ashore awaiting.... oh, never mind, it's too depressing....

Might see you up there if/when we ever get things together again.

Aja

Visit site
Fantastic to hear you have arrived home.

We are just back from a washout round Arran cruise - made Tarbert and back.

You can stand down on the call made Saturday pm to you. When you see a Marcon Claymore approaching Tarbert from the south your heart races a bitty on the thought of a couple of drams in Tarbert....

When you find out it is the 'other' Claymore.....

Donald

Billjratt

Visit site
Your inference is that "the other claymore" is doomed. What's going on? Everyone else that came aboard in Tarbert (and elsewhere) received standard refuelling, and a free inflatable zimmer. What have I done to offend you lot? Sahona
P.S. if it's ANOTHER claymore, sorry I spoke. wltmU

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
It's probably the banjo. People can be funny about them....

Not sure which Claymore that Aja was referring to (surely not the beautiful Sahona?), but of course there's another Clyde based Claymore, intriguingly also called Claymore. This naturally can give rise to some confusion between Claymore's Claymore Claymore, and the "other" Claymore Claymore, who probably has been asked some strange questions about his patio, and the healing properties of cucumber in the genital area.

Anyway, we met Aja and Claymore (of Claymore's Claymore Claymore) in Tobermory earlier this week. That was just after, errrmmm, I'd clouted our keel on a reef in Loch Teacuis. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Quite a bang. It was so hard that my toupée fell overboard, and my wallies shot forward from the cockpit to the bow where they were expertly fielded my Mme Sgeir. She is now talking about trials with the MCC, which I presume is some cruising club.

Just thought I'd mention that, before Claymore finds the internet café on Canna.

machurley22

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your grounding but as has often been said, "There are only two kinds of sailors up here; those who have hit rocks and those who haven't - yet."

So, do tell all. How fast is "quite a bang" and did you stick for a while or just bounce off? Do you plan to haul out?

Three cheers for encapsulated keels.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Ackshully, Teacuis is really, at least by the east Caol, dead easy, if, errm, you follow the CCC pilot. Which we did. On the way in.

However, and it's a gey big howeffer, a small leak on your dinghy can lead to great big dents in your keel, if you get my drift.

One thing leads to another, that great cosmic chain of events that circumscribes the human condition, as it were, in a manner of speaking.

DaveS

Visit site
Ah, weel... Ah've only been part o the wey in masel - by the east side richt enough - a few year back. Jist far enough tae dae Carna in fact. So you've been richt in (as they say)? Whaeraboot did ye stop?