Jet Ribs as tenders

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Jet ribs seem good fun boats but from what I can see, in UK waters with big tidal ranges, their use as tenders is very limited. It seems you cannot fit wheels to them to get them up the beach and it seems that they all weigh a lot.

Does anyone know any different? Has anyone managed to haul jet ribs up beaches?

Paul

crazyhorse

Visit site
Are you getting mixed up here with Jet skies as most jet ribs are used offshore and with a single diesel weighing up to 3/4 of a ton it may be dificult to sling them up the beach,in the same way you may find it dificult to sling a Targa 33 up the beach? If I had to I would rather attempt the rib as I would have more of a chance as they only weigh aprox 3+tons but it would be a little of a strain at times.

Ya cheeky monkey

crazyhorse

Visit site
or a small inflatable with a outboard.10hp is a bit heavy maybe a 6hp on a inflatable only will do the trick,I prefer the old avon redcrest with a 3.3hp its hard to beat as a tender, but you may want something bigger with that new boat of yours.It will keep you fit.

Ya cheeky monkey

qsiv

Visit site
I'm not sure you could ski as well behind the 10hp boat ...

I have to say that I never pull my dinghy up the beach - I anchor off with an outhaul rigged to the anchor and simply pull the dinghy out into deeper water. I cant get either a 3.10 rib with a 10 or a fastroller with 5 up a beach singlehanded so I had to find an alternative solution.

I'm envious of the jet rib, if only because of the safety swimmers and the ability to explore significantly further. Unfortunately I couldnt stand the weight, so I have to live with the lighter alternatives.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
In all our years of boating, I have only ever used the dinghy to go ashore by beach on Herm. Otherwise, it's all been next to a pontoon.

And when beaching, it's normally one of our sons who drops us off (it's not cool to sunbathe, or walk around exploring) whilst they go off and have fun on the dinghy.

So the reality of beaching for us is small - hence the jet rib.

A thought - I must re-check my boat insurance, since I seem to remember that if the boat is left unattended whilst at anchor, the insurace is invalid. Could be wrong, but I have a nagging feeling.

Piers du Pré
www.playdeau.com

Forbsie

Visit site
Why not cancel your boat order and buy a TEK-JET. Looks fabulous and will be ready for SIBS '03.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

c_j

Visit site
I plan to get the Williams ski10 which is 70 hp 44 knots and 2.85 mtrs. I think whoever was talking about 3 tonne ribs has missed the point! If I suggest to my kids another season with 2.8 and 5HP I think mutiny could be order of the day.

But its a good point about beaching and I will do the anchor thing I suppose.
You cannot go very shallow with motor running because it will pick up half bricks!

Bit of a compromise really.

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stone.uk.com>http://www.stone.uk.com</A>

crazyhorse

Visit site
Yes it sound good a jet rib,but in practise you will not explore further as you will be worried about hitting the bottom or sucking up sand and doing your impellors in.

If your skiing then a jet is pretty bad also as it is all over the place and hasnt got the grip in the water a prop has.

You will not cut a swimer with a jet but you may suck one.

The ideal tender is difficult as its all done to envisiged use and actual use.

For me a light weight Avon Redcrest will do the job,with a 3.3 two stroke yam /short shaft.I cant ski but I can drop it over the side with no help and stick it in the back of the car after use.If your doing a James Bond and weight isnt a problem then a 4.5mtr Humber rib with a 5ohp on the back will go like stink and you can ski and bump it around all day as the costs arnt to much.If your going further on the who knows.The two stroke Jet ribs need some carefull thought as im not sure on the future emmisions regs so be carefull as if you were a engine builder you would want a quick outlet for your potential emmisions problem stock.In my humble oppinion.

Good luck

Chase your dreams and you will always be happy

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Thank you - I think that is vey good advice,

I am going to stick to a rib with a 4 stroke outboard - put wheels on it and tow it up the beach. If I was in the Med a jet rib may tempt me but with the second biggest tidal range in the world it just does not suit.

Paul

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
How heavy is this!!?? I fancy upgrading my 4hp dinghy on the back of my 46' but have always been worried about davits etc etc... do you still have the V39 and if so how are you going to keep the jetrib on the back... I may have missed out on some of your previous posts (new boat on way etc) 'cos this seems to be a tender garage option only...

Cheers
Stefan

mailto: stefan@athito.com

DepSol

Visit site
There is a Fleming at the mo in SPP QEII, that also has a jet rib on the back, Very nice too.

Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

c_j

Visit site
There is no information on their Web site but they do have an A4 B&W sheet with basic information which gives weight as 215kg's

The boat was shown at LBS with Fairline decals next to the Fairline stand. The idea is it fits in Targa 43/48 Garage. It is being marketed now to resellers as the Ski 10. Although Fairline Customers were very keen on this Rib, Fairline dealers did not express much interest (perhaps preffering to leave the 10 grand boats to someone else.) The pricing on offer at LBS was wrong apparently.

Price £9960 plus Vat

So do I go fro this relatively untested RIB or play safe and try to squeeze a 320 in by deflating/inflating.

Worried me a bit though, post regarding usability of jetRib. Any one out there use one for Tender/Wakeboarding?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stone.uk.com>http://www.stone.uk.com</A>