Jet Ribs as tenders

G

Only comment I'd make, Chris, is that any half decent skier will drag a 10 footer all over the place. It'll be fine for toys/sleds/rings/bananas but if they get serious about skiing you'll be after another boat again.

jfm

Visit site
in defence of jet ribs

I have driven and skied behind tcm's jet rib this summer, it's a novamarine 3.2m or 3.5m. Pics on b1's website. We pulled mono skiers, wakeboarders as well as bananas etc. I was surprised how stable it was as a ski tow. OK, you can feel a slalom skier in the turns, but it doesn't get dragged sideways or anything bad, in fact it tracked pretty straight. Also it had plenty of power even popping a deep water skier (adult) out of the water. So, all jolly good imho and I would expect the avon 320 jet rib to be similar, but slightly less bhp - the avon uses the 75hp yam motor whereas the novamarine has a mercury jet unit, 115hp I think

Steve_D

Visit site
<<the second biggest tidal range in the world it just does not suit.>>

Thats the fourth place I've heard of thats got the second biggest tidal range in the world. ;-)

Steve D

DepSol

Visit site
Paul

Steve is referring to our home land of Guernsey. largest predicted tidal range this year is 10.1m high to a 0.2m low.

Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Steve_D

Visit site
A few from memory

Channel Islands 9.? M

somewhere on the west coast of ireland
(but that one was probably more powered by Guiness than lunar tidal forces)

Milford Haven 7.? M

Mont St Michel (dont know the range couldn't actually see the water)
(to be fair the tour guide did actually claim the biggest tidal range in the world. When I pointed out that I thought that honour belonged to the Bay of Fundy she gave a gallic shrug and pointed to her guide notes)

Most of these came in the form of dire warnings of the "here be dragons" variety back in the days when I did big sea kayak trips. rarely were these from seamen/women of any description, mostly they came from the landlady or the bloke hanging over the railings watching us pack.

Regards

Steve D

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Hold On :)

Milford Haven is my area :)

I am talking about the Britol Channel and it does beat the CI's I am afraid.

I suppose there is a sort of badge of honour with such tidal ranges but I would swop those I am subjected to for a nice cosy 1 metre any day!

Paul

Steve_D

Visit site
I paddled the severn bore in my yoof - great fun. 'had to take a few boardies off at the ankles to make room tho' - only joking - it was a really good atmosphere with quite a bunch at the start.

OK, I give in, 14M beats me.

Regards

Steve D

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Yep - with that high it should be a super bore.

I am pleased I am learning my boating in the Britol Channel - its seems most places are a bit easier after it. Makes planning a trip in the Med look like a doddle.

Paul