Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 Range? (Volvo Penta TAMD-41p)

Visit site
Good tip already from JL. I use ond of these with my battery drill Sealey TP51 Water Pump Drill Powered for sale online | eBay to pump out the oil. The dipstick tube on these engines goes to the bottom of the sump so no need to poke a tiny hose down it, just a half inch hose over the top of the dipstick tube with the oil nice and warm and it will pump out in no time. If you have not already noticed, checking the oil level can be confusing! Sometimes when you extract the dipstick there will be no oil on it at all! Don't start adding lots of oil. Wait a minute, put dipstick fully in and remove it to reveal there was oil there all the time. Because there is an o-ring sealing the top of the dipstick and the tube goes to the bottom of the sump the oil level in the tube stabilizes only when the dipstick is first removed and reinserted. Do you have the owners handbook giving the service schedules?

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum, that is really handy and I will grab one of those and thank you for the tip!
I have the handbook but thought I would come on here for some tips and tricks :p
Mine currently has 758 hours on the clock and has always been regularly serviced (apart from the last 2 years but she genuinely not been used, until now) so I want to get it all in order to avoid any disappointment further down the line.

I have read something about "burping" the stern gland, is this necessary?

I have noticed some green colored liquid in the bilge where the shaft is, is this coolant being leaked? What could it be?

jamie langstone

Visit site
Plum, that is really handy and I will grab one of those and thank you for the tip!
I have the handbook but thought I would come on here for some tips and tricks :p
Mine currently has 758 hours on the clock and has always been regularly serviced (apart from the last 2 years but she genuinely not been used, until now) so I want to get it all in order to avoid any disappointment further down the line.

I have noticed some green colored liquid in the bilge where the shaft is, is this coolant being leaked? What could it be?
With regards to the tappets if your not sure then I would advise getting a engineer to do this part . If you go on to YouTube and type in tappet adjustments there are good video Explain how to . The green is probably the coolant that has either leaking from a joint some where or if you over fill the coolant expansion tank then it will generally release some coolant due to expansion. I fill mine half way between the full and low mark which seems to do the trick.

Plum

Visit site

You are already seeing the benefits of taking an interest in maintaining and inspecting your engine rather than paying someone and not looking into the engine space. You have already noticed and now identified coolant and although JL is right, always pays to monitor and ensure there is not a small leak that will progress to a bigger leak. If you soak up all liquid and clean to nice white plastic everywhere under your engine you will instantly see any fresh leaks.

Assuming you have the VP stern gland then it must be burped every time you relaunch or after drying out. You just need to release any trapped air inside the seal to ensure the seawater comes into contact with the bubber bearing and seal inside the stern gland as the water lubricates it and keeps it cool. You either need to pinch the nose (forward part) of the black rubber with your fingers so distorting the rubber to upset the seal until water start to leak out, or, as I find easier, just push the nose to one side which has the same effect. You also need to inject some VP stern gland grease into the seal. Buy a tube (about the size of a tube of toothpaste, which will last you for 10 years) and its a simple job using a plastic drinking straw. This video is good although does not show the drinking straw trick but does show where the grease goes and how to burp

Last edited:
Visit site
You are already seeing the benefits of taking an interest in maintaining and inspecting your engine rather than paying someone and not looking into the engine space. You have already noticed and now identified coolant and although JL is right, always pays to monitor and ensure there is not a small leak that will progress to a bigger leak. If you soak up all liquid and clean to nice white plastic everywhere under your engine you will instantly see any fresh leaks.

Assuming you have the VP stern gland then it must be burped every time you relaunch or after drying out. You just need to release any trapped air inside the seal to ensure the seawater comes into contact with the bubber bearing and seal inside the stern gland as the water lubricates it and keeps it cool. You either need to pinch the nose (forward part) of the black rubber with your fingers so distorting the rubber to upset the seal until water start to leak out, or, as I find easier, just push the nose to one side which has the same effect. You also need to inject some VP stern gland grease into the seal. Buy a tube (about the size of a tube of toothpaste, which will last you for 10 years) and its a simple job using a plastic drinking straw. This video is good although does not show the drinking straw trick but does show where the grease goes and how to burp

Plum, that is incredibly useful and thank you for the video, I will be sure to do this!
I have bought all the bits I need to service my Penta, here is what I have:
- Impeller (inc. new seal and lubricant)
- Fuel filter (engine mounted)
- Oil filter
- Belt
- Air filter
- 11L Volvo oil
- Marine 16 additive

I just want to add that these are ALL genuine Volvo. I haven't got any experience with a marine engine but plenty on cars etc. Is there anything I need to do when changing the filters? Can the fuel filter just be changed or do you need to prime it? Can you remove the oil filter without draining all of the oil first? The impeller, do you need a special tool to remove it or does it easily come out?
Thank you!

jamie langstone

Visit site
Plum, that is incredibly useful and thank you for the video, I will be sure to do this!
- Oil filter
- Belt
- Air filter
- 11L Volvo oil
- Marine 16 additive

I just want to add that these are ALL genuine Volvo. I haven't got any experience with a marine engine but plenty on cars etc. Is there anything I need to do when changing the filters? Can the fuel filter just be changed or do you need to prime it? Can you remove the oil filter without draining all of the oil first? The impeller, do you need a special tool to remove it or does it easily come out?
Thank you!
Pm sent some time it’s better to describe over the phone so I will send my number .

Plum

Visit site
- Oil filter
- Belt
- Air filter
- 11L Volvo oil
- Marine 16 additive

Thank you!
As JL has offered to have a phone call with you there is probably not much I can add to his advice.

M Gordon

Visit site
Hi all,

I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

I have a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 which I will be bringing back from north Spain to the UK hopefully soon. Can anyone provide me with some figures in terms of range?
I have seen figures of 25L per hour at full speed (24 knots?). Could it have enough range to come from north Spain to the UK in 3 tanks, plodding along at 8 knots or so?

Just of note, she has a 230L diesel tank on board with a 200HP Volvo Penta TAMD-41p.

Any information would be massively helpful!
Good morning-did you bring the boat back yet?
is it Portishead you’ll be keeping it?
We are a family with two young children and would love to know how you get on with it, we will be looking to keep it there.

Visit site
Good morning-did you bring the boat back yet?
is it Portishead you’ll be keeping it?
We are a family with two young children and would love to know how you get on with it, we will be looking to keep it there.
Hi M Gordon,

I did bring her back and enjoyed her last year. However, I have since sold her and bought a slightly smaller cabin cruiser (615) with a trailer so we can take the boat on holidays with us.

I cannot recommend the MF805 enough, it has everything you need to enjoy time on the water alone or with family.

M Gordon

Visit site
Hi M Gordon,

I did bring her back and enjoyed her last year. However, I have since sold her and bought a slightly smaller cabin cruiser (615) with a trailer so we can take the boat on holidays with us.

I cannot recommend the MF805 enough, it has everything you need to enjoy time on the water alone or with family.

Thanks for the reply-yes taking it on holiday is a good thought. Shame I didn’t see it for sale otherwise I might have gone for it.
stupid question-how much did they shift on the asking price when you bought it?

Visit site
Definitely keep your eyes peeled as there are some good ones out there. I do feel mine was the best specced as it also had an outside teak effect deck so she looked incredible, but I’m biased!
Mine sold around the £37k mark with the Volvo Penta engine.

M Gordon

Visit site
Definitely keep your eyes peeled as there are some good ones out there. I do feel mine was the best specced as it also had an outside teak effect deck so she looked incredible, but I’m biased!
Mine sold around the £37k mark with the Volvo Penta engine.
Dam I wished I’d seen it as that does sound good.
If you see one out in the channel stop say hello.