Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 Nanni Diesel 4.390 tdi won't switch off

MartyM

Visit site
Hi everybody

I have a Nanni Diesel 4.390 tdi which has just started to play-up, firstly it won’t stop when I turn ignition key to off, it takes many attempts switching from off back to run until eventually (and for no apparent reason) it finally stops, also the voltage indicator started showing high charge (just under 16 volts) whilst engine was running. Hopefully looking for some advise/suggestions for what may be the problem or problems :(. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a manual cut-off facility with this particular engine. Any guidance would gratefully appreciated.

MartyM

Visit site
On the assumption you are UK, may I suggest you ask AR Peachment the UK dealer for Nanni. I had the T4.155.
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm in Ireland (South) but have family in UK so I will follow-up with a call/email to AR Peachment, again thanks for the info - Martyn

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi everybody

I have a Nanni Diesel 4.390 tdi which has just started to play-up, firstly it won’t stop when I turn ignition key to off, it takes many attempts switching from off back to run until eventually (and for no apparent reason) it finally stops, also the voltage indicator started showing high charge (just under 16 volts) whilst engine was running. Hopefully looking for some advise/suggestions for what may be the problem or problems :(. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a manual cut-off facility with this particular engine. Any guidance would gratefully appreciated.
The Nanni 4.390 base engine is a Toyota 1KZ-TE, as fitted to some Toyota tricks and the early Landcruiser Colorado. Things like oil filters, timing belts and most mechanical parts will interchange. Unfortunately, the stop solenoid is different. The vehicle version needs power for the engine to run, the marinised one needs power to stop the engine.

Your problem will be one of two things, either a faulty stop solenoid or failure of power getting to the solenoid. Checking the solenoid is simple, with the engine running, connect a wire to a positive power supply and hold that on the terminal of the stop solenoid, the engine should stop. As your problem is intermittent you could connect a wire to the solenoid and a positive supply, with an inline switch. Next time it won't stop, operate the switch, if it doesn't stop it's a faulty solenoid. If it does stop it's either a wiring issue or a faulty key switch, you'll need to go through the circuit with a test meter.

The high voltage reading needs double checking with a multimeter at the alternator to be sure the issue isn't the onboard meter. If it really is 16v, get the alternator to your local auto electrician.

MartyM

Visit site
The Nanni 4.390 base engine is a Toyota 1KZ-TE, as fitted to some Toyota tricks and the early Landcruiser Colorado. Things like oil filters, timing belts and most mechanical parts will interchange. Unfortunately, the stop solenoid is different. The vehicle version needs power for the engine to run, the marinised one needs power to stop the engine.

Your problem will be one of two things, either a faulty stop solenoid or failure of power getting to the solenoid. Checking the solenoid is simple, with the engine running, connect a wire to a positive power supply and hold that on the terminal of the stop solenoid, the engine should stop. As your problem is intermittent you could connect a wire to the solenoid and a positive supply, with an inline switch. Next time it won't stop, operate the switch, if it doesn't stop it's a faulty solenoid. If it does stop it's either a wiring issue or a faulty key switch, you'll need to go through the circuit with a test meter.

The high voltage reading needs double checking with a multimeter at the alternator to be sure the issue isn't the onboard meter. If it really is 16v, get the alternator to your local auto electrician.
Hi there PaulRainbow

Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate the detailed explanation and look forward (sort of) to getting stuck in and narrowing down the possibilities - Thanks again for your help - Martyn