jeanneau 39 DS opinions

DannyB

Visit site
I looked at one a couple of years ago, my wife fell down the step between the saloon and the front cabin and that was that. It's maybe something you would get used to, but I decided it was a hazard I didn't need.

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
I looked at one a couple of years ago, my wife fell down the step between the saloon and the front cabin and that was that. It's maybe something you would get used to, but I decided it was a hazard I didn't need.

When we were looking for our boat we were seriously considering the 42DS or the Benni as our final two and went to LIBS to have a good look over both - fell down the step in the saloon! was never going to be the DS after that.

cloud7

Visit site
jeanneau 39ds

When we were looking for our boat we were seriously considering the 42DS or the Benni as our final two and went to LIBS to have a good look over both - fell down the step in the saloon! was never going to be the DS after that.

apart from the step do you have any other views on them , thks

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
apart from the step do you have any other views on them , thks

Other than that I thought they were a cracking boat, and I am sure there a loads of very happy owners out there.
We were looking at the 42ds 2 cabin version which would have had the aft island berth too, something we really liked. However the Benni has a double cross berth which is available on the 39 and is fine - we usually stay in the aft cabin unless it is bounce on the hook when we swap.
Saloon layout is great with the galley at the bottom of the companionway, good layout and space.
You'll not be disappointed.
Looking at the plan it doesn't show the step just before the fore cabin so it might not even be there.

shaunksb

Visit site
Sailed a 39i in the summer which, I believe, is the same hull but different coachroof.

Sorry to say but I wasn't overly impressed.

Saloon & cabins had very much of a "charter quality" feel but layout ok.

Absolutely "dead" feel to twin wheeled helm. Nothing wrong with the way she steered just no feedback whatsoever - very difficult to enjoy being on the helm.

Lots of windage from the bow. Difficult to berth in any crosswind.

Wide stern so long way down to leeward winch. Coachroof winches undersized - if you go for a test sail try a gybe or two.

Not the most close winded boat but tramps along nicely on a reach.

Kelpie

Visit site
That step on the 42DS is very annoying.
I spent a week aboard one of these boats and I still fell down it at every possible opportunity.