Jaywalking the World

Dino

Visit site
I recently came across an interesting YouTube channel called Jaywalking the World. https://youtube.com/@JaywalkingTheWorld?si=TMQgcQATJQVa72j5
The channel is run by Stephen Payne, a photographer and filmmaker. He’s originally British but lived in the US for many years. Stephen bought a Birchwood TS37 in Bray on the Thames and he is now on the Mediterranean after a very interesting cruise through France on its canals and Rivers Saone and Rhone.
I started on Episode 25 and I’m on 52 now.
It’s a really interesting travelogue of a guy heading off to the Med in a normal boat. I’m hoping to do the trip myself some day.

Greg2

Visit site
It has always been in our mind to make that trip so I will have a look. Leaving the EU hasn’t helped in that regards although SWMBO has an Irish passport and I am led to believe that I might be okay for over 90 days if travelling with her.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
I recently came across an interesting YouTube channel called Jaywalking the World. https://youtube.com/@JaywalkingTheWorld?si=TMQgcQATJQVa72j5
The channel is run by Stephen Payne, a photographer and filmmaker. He’s originally British but lived in the US for many years. Stephen bought a Birchwood TS37 in Bray on the Thames and he is now on the Mediterranean after a very interesting cruise through France on its canals and Rivers Saone and Rhone.
I started on Episode 25 and I’m on 52 now.
It’s a really interesting travelogue of a guy heading off to the Med in a normal boat. I’m hoping to do the trip myself some day.
I haven't got to episode 25 yet but he bought a project 31 in an earlier episode....
@Greg2
Yes I'm sure you can travel with your wife and exceed the 90 days, ... but ....Ireland isnt in schengen I think so may have some sort of restrictions....

Dino

Visit site
You’re a tough audience here 😂
What attracted me to the channel was that it was a standard run-of-the-mill boat doing a trip that a lot of boaters would aspire to do. I would love to bring my boat back to the Med at some stage. I bought it in Mallorca but time pressures and work meant that I didn’t get much time for cruising before I trucked it home.

billskip

Visit site
You’re a tough audience here 😂
What attracted me to the channel was that it was a standard run-of-the-mill boat doing a trip that a lot of boaters would aspire to do. I would love to bring my boat back to the Med at some stage. I bought it in Mallorca but time pressures and work meant that I didn’t get much time for cruising before I trucked it home.
Well when you see all the threads and opinions about RYA ICC required etc etc.
And he heads off to Calais giving the impression he has little/no experience or qualification.......ties up his boat using the stanchions and stern ladder......

Billy Blue

Visit site
I've followed him as he made his way all the way down to Malta where he is now. He has learnt a lot! Thoroughly enjoyed his videos and always looked forward to the next one. In my view, a hell of an achievement considering his initial level of skill and the fact that the majority of the time he has been single handed.

Visit site
Well when you see all the threads and opinions about RYA ICC required etc etc.
And he heads off to Calais giving the impression he has little/no experience or qualification.......ties up his boat using the stanchions and stern ladder......
Not really. There are 3 cleats either side, but sometimes when you are in a hurry, you might use whatever comes to hand, and then fix it once you've got the boat in place. But yes, I did head off to Calais with very little experience or qualification. I had everything I needed to legally and I have made it to Malta pretty much by myself. I have done no damage to the boat or any other boats during my passage. It's been a big adventure.

Dino

Visit site
Thanks for joining in Stephen. I have really enjoyed your trip. I still have 25-30 episodes to watch. I am hoping to do the trip at some stage in my Broom Ocean 38.

harvey38

Visit site
Quite an interesting series, I only watched it originally as Ramsgate was featured quite a bit, shame the boat appears to be a bit untidy inside with wires everywhere but hey, it's early viewing for me.

A dream a lot of us have, me included so I'm hooked 😊

Last edited:
Visit site
Quite an interesting series, I only watched it originally as Ramsgate was featured quite a bit, shame the boat appears to be a bit untidy inside with wires everywhere but hey, it's early viewing for me.

A dream a lot of us have, me included so I'm hooked 😊
I don't tidy up the boat before shooting. I shoot reality. And this reality happened to be when I was doing some work on the boat. Strange that you picked that out, but whatevs. :)

harvey38

Visit site
I'm here. There will be a new clip up in a few days.
Good to hear, I'm only up to episode 60 but as my wife also enjoys watching your travels, I'm hopeful we may follow in your footsteps. It's helpful being based in Ramsgate 😊

Out of interest, which waters are you currently in?

Last edited: