ive got the HUMP

bastonjock

Visit site
well after what started out as a great days sailing it all went southbound at around 1600hrs on friday,i was passing the new outer harbour at great yarmouth when my steering packed up,i weighed up the situation and dropped the sails,i was motorsailing with only the maimsail up,i was about 80 yeards from the rocks at the entrance,so i somehow managed to point her away from the large boulders and head off,after putting a comforatable distance between myself and the rocks,i put out a call to the Yarmouth coast guard,i felt really embarraced at having to do it,,they advused my to drop the hook in the main shipping channell and out came the lifeboat from gorleston,it dwarfed my mac,one guy jumped onboard and began rigging for a tow,off we went and stopped as my boat was slewing all over the place,a sea anchor later off we went and all looked well,then as we turned into yarmouth the rope slipped and moved up to press against my furler,i shouted a couple of warnings but could not be heard over the engine noise,then a wave came through and with the combined sideways pull of the tow rope,over she went to about 70-90 degrees and the whole shabang of masts and rigging came crashing down,i thought that we were going to sink and so did the lifeboat guy onboard,he got onto the side and i had to pull him in when we righted.

I lost loads of gear over the side,the seagulls feasted on my lunch,i was towed to town bridge quay and berthed for the night,next day i made my way by sitting on my motor and using my leggs and butt to steer myself,trying to moor up against a berth was a laugh,next to stuff all control.

Anyhow i shall be calling my insurers tomorrow,i wont go into too much detail at present.

I have always thought that the RNLI do a fantastic job and still do

bastonjock

Visit site
the motor worked fine,it just that the teleflex steering wot connects the rudders and the motor together packed in,so the motor could only be used in forward or reverse,there is no emergency tiller,however,you can disconnect the motor from the steering linkage,but what do you steer it with? i ended up sitting on the motor in the river at yarmouth and turning the motor by twisting my butt,manageable in a river but not in a wavy sea.

I intend to make up some sort of emergency tiller.

Marmalade

Visit site
RNLI towed us in a few years ago and did some damage in the process - like you - I can't and won't complain. Hope your sit sorts itself.

FullCircle

Visit site
Thats a terrible kick in the slats.
Hope you get it sorted OK without too much added misery from the Insurers.

Also agree, good attitude with respect to the Lifeboat.

JKay

Visit site
same goes for me,just got a bss to prepare before 21 st and then I,m all yours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
as an aside its only 3/4 hours out of fosdyke altho'needs to be high water ish
Cheers Joe