I've done it!

jimi

Visit site
Re: I\'ve done it!

I'd be interested to see how the move went, how was the boat usage & travelling?

Jim

chuns

Visit site

Congratulations! James, I did the same a couple of years ago, though my commute (from Poole) is possibly less onerous than yours. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, though many people thought us mad to move from a situation where we were 20 minutes from the boat, to one where we were two and a half hours. However the great delight, apart from a better cruising ground, has been a surprising increase in boat use. When based in Poole, and if the weather forecast was rubbish, we often would not go aboard, and often the weather would improve, leaving us with an unrewarding trip “round the lighthouse” , tides permitting. Now we go to Plymouth irrespectively, and often the weather has been wonderful, giving us a ‘bonus’. Last weekend was a good example – they were forecasting all sorts of unpleasantness, and it was in fact a lovely weekend with good sunshine and fair winds.

But now comes the new debate. Bearing in mind we are weekend sailors, with all holidays spent on board, we are looking at basing ourselves in St Malo, for a start. Even with the relatively cheap moorings in the West Country, the costs of ferries and moorings add up to a lot less by being there. And there is a new cruising ground to become familiar with. St Malo was chosen as we could get to the berth without taking a car – although the train services are good, they eat too much time, at least for the first year or so. However the downside is that, even by manipulating my leave entitlement we can only sail once a month, albeit for about nine days. This for the fair summer months. So throughout the summer it could be two weekend stretching the forbearance of our friends, and two weekends and the middle week sailing our own boat. Could we endure that?

If we do this, and if it works well, we could then think about basing ourselves further west, say Treguier or Lezardrieux, and using the train, or even buying a cheap car and leaving it over there. Ideally we could end up being based somewhere near the Morbihan, having been, on the way, in Brest for a while.

Anyway, good luck in your new patch, we’ll keep a lookout for you (if we stay!).

jamesjermain

Visit site

Although money was a major reason for the move and a new cruising ground was a good justification, the real reason we went west this year was that we have a house at Cargreen to which we will be moving in the New Year.

In fact we have used Sweet Lucy very little this year - we probably would not have used her much more if she had still been on the Hamble. Having the boat at the wrong end of a three hour car journey and on a swinging mooring, is a significant barrier and rules out impromptu sails, evening mini sails and one-day weekends.
However, looking to the long term, Sweet Lucy will be 40 yards from the house, which has a slip (admittedly tidal) at the bottom of the garden. Add to this the Crooked Spaniard Inn 20ft from the front door, the Cargreen Yacht Club a quarter of a mile away and an office with views up and down the Tamar River and the whole thing becomes irresistable.

JJ

Chris_Robb

Visit site

We moved down this year to Plymouth from Chichester. Since Easter we have used the boat every other week end, so have had double or treble the usage time. And this is much more quality time, with planned weekends throughout the summer with friends, where as SWMBO hated the solent and would not arramnge anything at all!

However we seem to have ended the summer in southern Brittany up the Villaine river, as the crew decided they wanted to go as far south as possible during the summer hols! I am in mixed feelings about this, as I have really enjoyed Plymouth as a base, and have not exhausted the territory yet.

We are off on our first trial run to the Vilaine River (Redon) this weekend taking the fast ferry from Protsmouth to Cherbourg and driving down. Distance wise its about the same as Plymouth from Haslemere, but it may prove too much opf a hasle trying to book ferries at the right time.

Let us know next year how you get on, St Malo is certainly much easier ti get to, though Brittany ferries know how to charge for foot passengers, - the same as we get 4 people and car to cherbourg!

bedouin

Visit site
That\'s the beauty of \"Dateslip\"

Rather than having to think up new topics, we can just re-instate threads from 6 months back and have the same discussion all over again.

jimi

Visit site
Re: Dated

I did, it was deliberate to see how you found it after the best part of a season's usage as I was toying with the idea of moving the boat westwards. I had thought about QAB in Plymouth which would be c 2hr drive for me.

Jim