I've done it!

jamesjermain

Visit site
I\'ve done it!

I have just posted the letter to MDL resigning my mooring at Mercury! Oh Bliss! £4,200 remains in our bank account.

Sweet Lucy will now be based permanently on the Tamar River north of Plymouth for less than a tenth of the cost of MDLs finest.

Our departure will be tinged with regret because, apart from the cost, Mercury is undoubtedly a very fine marina run by helpful, professional, knowledgeable and friendly staff. I will miss them. I will also miss the well-stocked chandlery, walk-on access, security...

But I am looking forward to new cruising grounds, a friendly little yacht club, well managed moorings and a good local yard.

JJ

claymore

Visit site
Re: I\'ve done it!

It will be interesting to see how much of the £4200 stays in your possession and what leaks away!!
regards and Happy New Hunting Ground
JS

G

Well done JJ!! You have just discovered what we have known on the East Coast for years!! Mooring in a river IS cheaper and far more pleasant than paying for the convenience of a marina!

www.boatsyachtsmarinas.com

G

Welcome to God's own country, James, but don't forget to bring your passport with you!

G

Congratulations! Will the $4200 stay in the bank or, as it was going to be spent on the boat, do you now get to by her new toys like sails, electronics or other goodies? Please don't say you have to spend it on fixing up the bathroom at home. That would be depressing. <G>

romany123

Visit site

I will second that John....well done mate and while you are at it polish up the anchor, I used to spend a fortune on marinas,rushing around trying to spend all my hard earned cash (did I realy say trying). not any more, a graphic example of this , last year on the weekend of the barge race,we left our mooring in the Walton Channel, after a leisurely breakfast, we put up the sails and sailed away to the Clamp house in the River Orwell,and there we dropped our anchor, we were the only ones anchored, as far as we could see, what we did however see where yachts streaming into levington and wolverston Marinas, they where also driving up and down looking for moorings.

We were joined in the afternoon by some friends who, initially tied up alongside us. We spend a pleasant afternoon and evening watching the barges racing we shared our wine and our food, and at about midnight, they dropped anchor a short distance from us. It was a brilliant evening and cost us nothing but our own vitals and company.we had a good sail also on the Sunday,before making your way home.

Don't get me wrong, I love going into marinas to occasionally it is just that I hate the thought of shelling out good money to tie my boat on somebody else's lump of wood . I also knows that somebody will say to me if everybody anchored, there wouldn't be any room for the amount of boats that ply our waters .

just another opinion.happy sailing

Dave

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com

1. If something like this appears twice, sorry, finger problems and it disappeared!

2. You don't have to go as far as the Tamar to save money, but probably you save more that way. I rented a 50 foot trot on the Hamble from Moodys for about 10 months, and I think it was about £1500. I still had the benefit of the car park, marina restaurant, and a pontoon for the tender, plus, if I didn't go to sea at least I was "on the water" being passed by boats all day. Very nice. I'd be there now but I sold the log.

3. I spent some weeks above the Tamer Bridge before the eclipse, or at least the Boat did! It's a good place but perhaps lacking in quality for shoreside eateries, and a bit of a hike to oggin proper.

Boat Junkie

G

Quite...and I hope your boat doesn't get nicked (or your car!)... and enjoy your shower swimming

x

G

Re: Passport

He will need one to LEAVE Cornwall once we get independence!

G

Re: Passport

I saw a sign many years ago..... "FREE CORNWALL" and some bright spark had added underneath "WITH EVERY FOUR GALLONS OF GAS OIL" Well it made me smile<s>

Visit site
Well done James....

... you are about to become a member of the "Friends of the M5"!!!!

Great move. Are you sure that you will only save £4200? We calculated that with the new out of the water charges kicking in after 30days and the rip off price for electricity, we would be £4700 better off on our then 30footer at PH and that was at last year's prices.

Steve CRonin

jamesjermain

Visit site

About £40 a weekend in petrol - about £84 overall car running costs.

It's not all gravy, obviously. Weekends need to be planned and we will tend to do fewer but longer sails. Getting things done and bits bought will be less easy as will any major repair jobs. But there are some excellent yards in the Plymouth area which will be, I hope, cheaper than the Hamble axis.

Next winter, haul-out charges will be small and storage ashore a mere pittance.

JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site
Some toys

A new spinnaker it top of the list, but I have recently fitted new instruments (the new B&G h1000s - tell you how I get on with them during the year) and a cooling unit for the cold box is on its way. New upholstery would be nice and I must get the forehatch replaced.

But basically, since the money isn't in the bank in the first place, I wont have much difficulty not spending it (beat that for a strong of negatives!).

JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site
No - the rivals

I'm already a long standing member of the 'Friends of the 303' club, otherwise known as the Lee Enfield Club. It's a great road in the winter and even midweek in summer but weekends - ugh!

JJ