ITT Jabco loo

romany123

Visit site
Just sailed my new (to me) sadler 34 back from Guernsey and discovered that my loo keeps re filling after pumping dry. On checking I discovered that there are no vents in the loop, so I assume that is the problem. I had a similar problem on my old boat a good few years ago, on that occasion I bought a small plastic plug with a hole in it, You had to drill a small hole in the top of the pipe and press it into the hole. Checking at the chandlers today they want £26 for each loop in my loo. I seem to remember the plastic plug cost about £1.50. any Ideas

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

pete

Visit site
Hi Dave
Just a thought, I think your toilet is the same as mine and the same happened to mine until i found out that the lever (pump in/pump out) must be left in the pump out position I have no vents in my loops and apart from the first flood when heeled with the valve in wrong position have had no further probs.

Pete

<hr width=100% size=1>

mdrifter

Visit site
I think it's the same "Jabsco/Par" loo which comes with a warning that it floods the boat unless both sea-cocks closed after use! Our installation had a Vetus "in-line" filter or "anti-siphon" originally fitted below WL and it was Ok until visitors forgot to leave the little black lever in the "empty" position. Now with the Vetus "box" well above WL we have not yet had another flood....

<hr width=100% size=1>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Dave, while any of the comments given so far have its value, I believe that your problem is different. If you haven't had any trouble with your toilet before, then the position of the lever (yes, on out = right side) or the vent (yes, better/needed when loo below waterline) or the seacock (yes, it is safer, but I never use mine between April and October) all won't have made the difference.

What you need is the joker valve between the pump basis and the outlet flange (?). The valve has a triangle shape, blocks outlet water from flowing back (especially,also if you have a -vented- loop) into the loo and also acts as a seal. It also develops growth which bolck the rubber to shut completely. You get it for little money in most chandleries.

I would suggest to take a full maintenance set with a number of seals and replacement parts. You don't need to undo the outlet hose, but unscrew the flange at the bottom of the pump - it mau also just be blocked by some part of a mussel or other marine growth flowing through. If you need to replace it because of growth, it could make good sense to also repplace the pump plunger seal and the top pump seal.

How on earth I do know all that s**t ? Done it 3weeks ago on our 6 year old boat. Using the loo has become an even greater pleasure since...

Here a potentially useful link: shows you the spare part list with part numbers (joker valve = 32).
http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfo/overview/29090-2000_ev.pdf

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I also have the Jabsco/Par loo and I have the inlet & outlet hoses looped well above the water line and have never had a problem. I always leave the lever in the LH position and always close the seacocks when underway(as recommended by Jabsco) but even when left open have never had it filling. The recommendation to overhaul it with a spares kit is good advice especially if it is of unknown age. Closing the seacocks after use will work until you overhaul it.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Goldie

Visit site
Re: Cheap vent.

On one boat I sailed, the vent in the loop was the plastic end of a ballpoint pen - you know, the cheap clear plastic ones. The "blunt" end is a small plastic plug with a hole in. Could be just what you want. Seemed to work....

<hr width=100% size=1>

ditchcrawler

Visit site
One of the tricks to stop growths & clean toilets is well known to 'liveaboards' & that is to pump Coke(the cola variety) through the system, leave it for a few hours & pump it out.God knows what it does to one's insides, but it seems to work on the loo.

<hr width=100% size=1>