It's wonderful, it's marvelous.

tonybarebones

Visit site
It\'s wonderful, it\'s marvelous.

I experimented this year with growing pots under straw and it worked wonderfully, all you do is lay the seed potatoes on top of the soil and cover them with straw or hay, then when the spuds are ready all you have to do is move the straw and hey presto the spuds are on top... no digging and they are clean with no soil sticking to them... It's magic, another advantage is you can take a peek under the straw from time to time to check on their progress... it's wonderful... when the spuds are all lifted you can dig the straw/hay which is rotted by now into the ground, which is yet another good advantage... next year I am going to use this method on all my potatoes, hang on I've just rembered another advantage... no earthing up either... WOW thats fantastic... and another... I was able to put more pots in per square metre, and they don't have to be in rows either any spare patch of soil can be used. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JasB

Visit site
Re: It\'s wonderful, it\'s marvelous.

sounds good, but doesn't the wind cause a problem, or do you cover the straw with something else?

sarabande

Visit site

what about slugs and snails ? And is the straw treated with anything ? Our straw banks around the garden plots take two years to rot down. How do you accelerate the decomposition ?

Piccies please please !

tonybarebones

Visit site

Wind is not a problem, cos the straw/hay is mostly damp, well it certainly was this year!!! and as soon as the foliage comes through it acts as an anchor on the straw, I had no problem with either slugs or snails whatsoever, maybe because they don't like straw/hay??? I've just thought of another advantage in this method... no rotted pots if your ground gets waterlogged... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sarabande

Visit site

GC1 used to have a tomato plant on the verandah of HIS boat !

tonybarebones

Visit site

Piccies please please !

[/ QUOTE ]

Spring20081108-1.jpg

Csail

N/A
Visit site

Growing pot is illegal.Our grapes are brilliant this year but other crops are rubbish. Give me a call Tony. BBQ soon.

Csail

N/A
Visit site

Another good tip is get a drum full of nettles, add water and leave for a few weeks. Excellent plant food for the crops.