It's raining in Sicily - Ash not Water!!!

Richard10002

Visit site
It\'s raining in Sicily - Ash not Water!!!

Came into Ripost marina yesterday pm to top up with fuel and water, wash the boat, and get some provisions and a bit of R & R.

Woke up at about 3am this morning and went on deck for a smoke, (no pun intended <g>) - every now and then there was what sounded like a clap of thunder and I looked up to see Mt. Etna erupting! Ultimately no big deal but, at the time, I thought my time was up!

To the naked eye it was just a red glow in the distance but, got the binoculars out, and it was/is the real deal ... red hot fountains and big rocks being thrown high in the sky, then falling to the ground and rolling down the hillside .... and this was happening every few seconds.

Anyway... there didnt seem to be any panic from the locals, no mad rush for their boats, and no alarms, so I thought it couldnt be too serious, and I also thought I was in the best place for a quick escape. nevertheless, I did a quick google and discovered that this has been happening off and on forever - apparently, Etna is a "friendly" volcano, and has only had about 74 deaths properly attributed to it ever... so I slept soundly after watching the show for a while.

The thunder claps carried on throughout today, and life went on. Washed the boat this afternoon as planned. Went shopping then, on the way back, it felt like rain. Looked up and, sure enough, a big black cloud.... but it wasnt wet - it was ash!! Called into a cafe for some respite and to see if it stopped, which it did after a while.

Got back to the boat and it's covered in crunchy ash, so I got the hose out and started washing it off, which was working fine, until it started raining ash again.... Given up, battened down the hatches, and hope it stops so that I can wash it off before leaving for Syracusa on Thursday.

What a bloody mess, but what an amazing experience!!

B175Chris

Visit site
Re: It\'s raining in Sicily - Ash not Water!!!

And you dare udate us without pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Richard10002

Visit site

If I took a picture of the volcano erupting, I dont think you would even see a vague tiny red blob in the middle of the pic.

If you think I'm opening up the companionway to take a pic of the ash covered scene, you've got another thing coming.

http://www.volcanoetna.com/en/news/etna-eruption-september-2007.html

and

http://www.ct.ingv.it/Report/RPTVGREP20070829.pdf

the second one, (pdf report), is in Italian, but I think the pics tell the story.

Cheers

Richard

Epirb23

Visit site

If you want a volcano buzz, try visiting the Aeolian Group NNE of Sicily.You have a choice of Stromboli and Vulcano,etc.
I guess the clues are in the names.
If that isn't good enough,try the Big Island in the Hawaiian group.

Richard10002

Visit site

Without particularly intending to, we have been to Vesuvius, (pompeii), Stromboli, Vulcano and Etna.

The trip has now been renamed, The Volcano Tour.

This is the first time we I've seen any real volcanic action, and there is now a substantial lava flow which can be seen from Riposto Marina.

Having found this web site, for a the highest hotel on the mountain, it seems that it remains no big deal in terms of danger, but quite nerve racking, (and exciting), when seeing it for the first time.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Ash not Snow!!!

when I visited Catania a few years back, they had snow ploughs... evidently not for snow!

Richard10002

Visit site

It is definitely exciting to be this close, but I think you are getting a better view on BBC news - From here, it's a bit of a red blob to the naked eye, and reasonable through binocs.

The downside is that I've spent all day getting the ash off the boat, and it's not finished yet. It's blowing a hooly, so the stuff gets in your eyes, and sticks to your body ... you tread it inside the boat and, no sooner do you think you've got a big patch cleared, a gust of wind blows some back.

I'm not complaining - it beats a day at the office, and all my mates are sending me texts saying:

"Wow!", or "I'd be heading South if I were you!"