It's Knackered!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It\'s Knackered!!

My old speed log seems to be knackered, maybe the sender? or maybe not. I've been wondering whether to replace it with a rathion unit with sea talk. Cos thats what all my newer instuments are. Must be one of those sort of 3 or four inch square thingies. or it wont fit. My old depth sounder up the loft, packed in for a year or so, but is miraculasly back working again. Wonder how long it will last. I was thinking that if I replaced with sea talk. If sumat packs up, I can reroute through another clock. Has the panel any thoughts.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

stamfordian

Visit site
Re: It\'s Knackered!!

That would explain the massive wash ...didn,t know what speed you were doing??.Why a spped log?.gps dirt cheap???

Regards,
T.B.
P.S. Can you re-route through big ben??

MikeBrazier

Visit site
Re: It\'s Knackered!!

I think i remember rightly that a depth display only shows depth and speed only speed. All types put info onto Seatalk network though so any data available can be displayed on a Raymarine Chart Plotter or Radar for example. They also do a Multi Display which will show anything you want it to.

I think it is only the ST80 instruments where the sensor head is connected by Seatalk to the displays. AFAIK on the other types (ST40 and ST60) there is still a direct connection to the master instrument head from the none seatalk sensor so if the master display breaks the info will not be available to the rest of the network.

Have a look at http://www.raymarine.com/
it is a very informative site.

tcm

Visit site
Re: just gps pls

Our boat has no speed log, just gps units. Theoretically STW useful for finding wwhat the tide is, but in fact since it's rubbish and u shd know whether it's 3knots this way or that, so why bother with extra holes in the hull in a fast boat?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: just gps pls

Hmm. You surprise me. Ok so. Now need to find some sort of repeater for speed, up the loft. Maybe I can sea talk it to auto pilot. But suspect if I do, then some other info might be missing. Cos if I remember right, you can only send about three lots of info to it.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re Ah But

Dont like having instruments that dont work. No good when come to sell. Also only place I can see speed down stairs is in very small writting on radar/plotter screen. So need to put on glasses and bang nose on screen. Need two boxes with big writing. Not to bothered whether GPS or other.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re Ah But

Dont like having instruments that dont work. No good when come to sell. Also only place I can see speed down stairs is in very small writting on radar/plotter screen. So need to put on glasses and bang nose on screen. Need two boxes with big writing. Not to bothered whether GPS or other. Even more important now, with all these rules your introducing. Also fitting new props for fast exceleration so can wam down to three knotts and back up to twenty, then back down to stop, reverse. Hart to port/starboard. Back up to warp speed. So need big clock to tell me whether I'm stopped. Going 25 Knots or 3.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re Ah But

Dont like having instruments that dont work. No good when come to sell. Also only place I can see speed down stairs is in very small writting on radar/plotter screen. So need to put on glasses and bang nose on screen. Need two boxes with big writing. Not to bothered whether GPS or other. Even more important now, with all these rules your introducing. Also fitting new props for fast exceleration so can wam down to three knotts and back up to twenty, then back down to stop, reverse. Hard to port/starboard. Back up to warp speed. So need big clock to tell me whether I'm stopped. Going 25 Knots or 3.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn