it's dead, what's it like with you?

Carmel2

Visit site
We have been in Porto Heli for the last 10ish days and it's so quiet. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but we were here 2 years ago at the exact same time and if you wanted a space on the town wall it was a right bum fight. Most nights we have seen space for loads and loads of boats.... Is it the same with you??

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
There has been a lot of boats in Aegina port this week,although my taverns owner friends say they are not spending any, or little money ,it looks like they are eating aboard.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Will be back in the Ionian on our new to us boat in 3 weeks, would be interested to know if it is quiet there to

You know me well enough to know I don't bull Shxt , Jordan ,
lakke last night sailing hoildays a fleet of four boat , see two lots of Nelison Folt one had five one had four plus lead boat .
Kioni the other week again sailing hol four boats again .
Ok early days yet , but some how I think Greece could be in for a slow season , maybe some thing to do with the winds they had here last year ,
Frighten the novices .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Leros is quieter than we have seen it in six years. Very few boat movements, lots still laid up in the marina in what is usually peak season. Very few visitors either Greek or foreign around the island.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I am in the Windward Islands currently Carriacou. More charter boat activity than I expect at this time of year but Bequia the Tobago Cays and Union Island were all pretty quiet and lots of space in the anchorages.

Can't say the same for Tyrrel Bay Carriacou which is pretty full. I had a job finding a good spot.

First day of the hurricane season and we are on to the second named storm.

I will be off with my sounding pole to check the channel into the mangroves, just in case.

jordanbasset

Visit site
lakke last night sailing hoildays a fleet of four boat , see two lots of Nelison Folt one had five one had four plus lead boat .
Ok early days yet , but some how I think Greece could be in for a slow season , maybe some thing to do with the winds they had here last year ,
Frighten the novices .

Hi Vic, cheers for the info, feel sorry for the Greek tourist industry but being selfish it is how we like it

SamanthaTabs

Visit site

"Warning, incoming" soon to an anchorage near you Vic, enjoy the peace and quiet before we get there ��
Frighten the novices .

crisjones

Visit site
We left Crete early April and are now in the Middle Cyclades. Everywhere seems much quieter than this time last year although we were in the Dodecanese last year, the locals all say it is quiet. We do seem to see many more Dutch and Germans than any other nationality at the moment.
A few places have been busy but mainly due to a large rally/regatta group notably Symi and Nisyros, once they left there was plenty of room. Amorgos was pretty full on the quay and the anchorage a couple of nights ago.
We have noticed more boats around the last few days but it is a Bank Holiday week and half term so only to be expected.
Anchored in a large bay on the SW of Schinousa last night with only one other boat.

charles_reed

Visit site
Very few boats around the Chalkidiki, Samothraki and when I arrived Myrina.
Sudden influx filled the quay, Sunday.
Very few Brits, hordes of French, slightly fewer Germans and Nederlanders. Even some Ukrainians in a Sydney 40 one design - trying to drink Greece dry.
I think tourism is well down on this time last year. Though a trip boat arrived with about 40 bulgers, mainly Brits, on Monday.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I am stuck in Sweden with a hospital procedure to remove sun damage from last years disastrous (to me) Greek summer. Benign but painful treatment with fotodynamic therapy. This is where large areas of the skin is soaked with a light sensitive cream for three hours then literally burned to a depth of some millimetres by a pair of high intensity lamps for eight agonising minutes. Stuck in the house for another three weeks because what is left of the cream is still active by sunlight. The treatment is for Basal cell cancer.

From my information a lot of folk got caught last year. That is one reason I, personally, will avoid the Greek High season in future.

Anyway, I went on the SAS airlines web page to see what damage the delay has caused me with airfares. Surprise surprise, the airfares are still at bargain rates to Athens even during July and August which implies that less than 8 seats are already booked on most flights as the first eight seats are always at bargain prices.

Tam Lin

Visit site
I am stuck in Sweden with a hospital procedure to remove sun damage from last years disastrous (to me) Greek summer. Benign but painful treatment with fotodynamic therapy. This is where large areas of the skin is soaked with a light sensitive cream for three hours then literally burned to a depth of some millimetres by a pair of high intensity lamps for eight agonising minutes. Stuck in the house for another three weeks because what is left of the cream is still active by sunlight. The treatment is for Basal cell cancer.

From my information a lot of folk got caught last year. That is one reason I, personally, will avoid the Greek High season in future.

Anyway, I went on the SAS airlines web page to see what damage the delay has caused me with airfares. Surprise surprise, the airfares are still at bargain rates to Athens even during July and August which implies that less than 8 seats are already booked on most flights as the first eight seats are always at bargain prices.

Interesting treatment of BCC in Sweden, here in the UK I have had mine blasted with liquid nitrogen or cut out.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Interesting treatment of BCC in Sweden, here in the UK I have had mine blasted with liquid nitrogen or cut out.

The Skin doctor told me that Swedes have very "fair" skin so that any damage is in multple areas. Other than isolate them all individually and treat them one at a time it is better for the doctor to hand the job over to a nurse team. The whole face or body is painted with the cream left for three hours then burnt off with the lamps. A semi-skilled task. Fortunitely I always wear a T-shirt and those long Surfing shorts. Also socks so I had only face damage. Oh just remembered the back of my hands from gripping the tiller need the treatment although that is not as bad as BCC. Next week I go back to the hospital for the hand treatment. Same proceedure.

There is a tremendous down side though. The top few mm of skin is burnt off while the heat kills of the bad cells. Unfortunitely the area treated bleeds and scabs for weeks. I had it done last week and I have a few weeks to go. However photographs of the skin before and after prove the system works as the new face is like a babies bottom. No wrinkles and a pure even colour.

I don't think this is a reason why the ports and anchorages are empty. I was just responding to the question "What's it like with you?"

Last edited: