It's all over - don't read this if you get depressed

tillergirl

Visit site
It\'s all over - don\'t read this if you get depressed

Just been making arrangements for laying up - and so it looks like this:

1. No mud berth this year; every four years I lift out for a real go at the bottom plus I need to do the stern gland and a couple of seams.
2. Insurance wants me to lay up by 1st November (although in the past they have been very reasonable about this.
3. I stick with my 'old' yard out of loyalty. They can't lift me with their crane so three or four of us (four this year) get together to hire in a crane and lorry. Yard says don't do it on springs please as we'll be busy lifting with our own crane. So that means week commencing 20th October.
4. I need to lock into Heybridge Basin for the lift. Tides in the wek commencing 20th October aren't the best; least worst option for convenience is to lock in on the 5pm tide on 20th October for a lift on the 21st.
5. I am away in Mauritius with some work from 11th to 19th October (well someone's go to do it, it might as well be me!)
6. The weather this week is looking pretty c**p; I'm away next Monday; next Tuesday my neighbour wants to fill up with diesel on his Mobo; next Wednesday and Friday, the weather forecast is c**p again.
7. That means I've got one day's sailing this year left on week Thursday!!!

Where did it all go?

MoodySabre

Visit site
Re: It\'s all over - don\'t read this if you get depressed

Oh dear what a gloomy story so soon after the best weekends of the year. I'm still planning a few days from 12th October - forecast pouring rain and blooming windy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I can't decide whether to come out in November and get on with other things (wooden dinghy refurb etc and house diy) or stay in and then not use the boat.

I hate the winter /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Cantata

Visit site

A sad tale indeed.
Even though we don't lift out until mid-November, I fear that we shan't get out much now either, unless we get a burst of decent weather at half-term (last week in October). But I'm being told that we ought to go and see relations then......

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site

Shame you have only got a little bit of time afloat before you lift out but what really p*$$ed me off was /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif [ QUOTE ]

5. I am away in Mauritius with some work from 11th to 19th October (well someone's go to do it, it might as well be me!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Autumn. To my mind it is the worst season. Summer is over, the odd nice day you get is cold to start and end and often has mist attached. Nothing to look forward to.

As Winter approaches at least there is Christmas to look forward to and then SPRING - my favourite time of year. Everything is fresh and new, anticipation about the sailing ahead and those long summer days to come. Then it all goes down hill again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Still had SWMBO approval for 2 short trips to Canaries - one at end of Nov and on in Jan or Feb to keep my self diagnosed 'SAD' at bay. She knows it makes sense!

JKay

Visit site

I am away in Mauritius with some work from 11th to 19th October (well someone's go to do it, it might as well be me!)

He's depressed me as well,having visited Mauritias a few times

cheers Joe

Gin

Visit site

Bad luck, I commiserate with you.

We are due to be lifted out mid November and I'm hoping that my son and I may just be able to do a bit of sailing together at half term- I shan't hold my breath for good weather though.

My birthday is Trafalgar Day and we always, in another life, used to do the Barton Regatta on the Norfolk Broads each year and I associate that period with misty mornings, very 'Tales of the Riverbank', followed by bright blue skies and warm sun and light wind after the mist had burned off. It was a fine time to have a birthday!

This seemed to be the norm for about a week in those far off times but not any more sadly, now the weather is horrible as are birthdays- nothing to celebrate on either front!

tillergirl

Visit site

I am sorry to have offended Flipper. I did everything possible to put it off. Honest!

I suppose there's always a chance of a sail out there one evening?

MikeBz

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
As Winter approaches at least there is Christmas to look forward to and then SPRING - my favourite time of year. Everything is fresh and new, anticipation about the sailing ahead and those long summer days to come. Then it all goes down hill again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to put the /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif immediately after 'long summer days to come'. And possibly another one due after 'Christmas to look forward to'.

We don't seem to get much in the way of spring or autumn any more (or summer come to that...). Winter goes pretty much straight into early summer, and late summer just jumps back into winter. Or is it just me?

Mike

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Tell me about it - I've only got 2 more sailing days left this year (13&14/10 if you must know - come hell or high water). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Then 3 days to empty the boat (inside & out) followed by 10 days of deck stripping in November.

Then nothing till Easter next year - apart from anti-fouling.

First time in 4 years we won't be spending winter afloat. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FullCircle

Visit site

This season ruined by familial issues. With luck they will be gone by Friday, then we have some serious decorating to catch up on, which prob leaves 1st weekend in November to the ECF Laying Down Supper as our next big sailing opportunity.
Not coming out if poss, but I havent sorted the Winter plan yet.

tillergirl

Visit site

Some years are like that. I think I didn't plan enough. When we lived in London, we used to make a lot of plans and stick to them. Now, able to get on the water in 5 minutes and to the mooring in 15, I kind of look at the sky and wonder what to do each day. We have some great days that way but we never got round to a long cruise this summer.

Now I have some plans for the winter, all of it pretty cosmetic and I shall enjoy doing that work:

1. I think its time to paint the bilge
2. Finish off running the electrickery wires in copper pipe (microbore) - did the starboard side a few years ago; must finish the port side - one of the advantages you guys with headlinings have is that your wires are hidden.
3. Heads needs a gloss and the floor boards a varnish
4. Experiment to try to see if I change the chain chute from a straight chain sized chute to a cone shape, the chain will fully self stow - then it might be worth fitting an electrickery windlass
5. Major varnish of the cockpit - got acres of varnish there
6. Sort out a couple of small leaks in the cockpit locker drain channels
7. Make a decision whether to re-galvanise the stem head fitting
8. Tackle a spot of rust inside the rudder!
9. Shall I take off the bilge keels? As an experiment of course? Answers to this in a post - yes I know I've thought about this before.
10. Always fancied making a fitted drawer for the common usage tools under the chart table - do people have chart tables any more?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any sailing friends, that might offer you some sailing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one - but Mrs Guapa tends to agree with Mrs Sailorman: two captains on one boat? It'll never work.

If we're still on speaking terms by X-mas, we're doing well /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sailorman

Visit site

Only ever one skipper on my boats /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif , she sometimes stops @ home /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sixpence

Visit site

Already got two skippers here /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but as it looks like I'm setting off when everyone else is coming out, there's room on Sixpence if it feeds the habit /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sixpence

Visit site

That's what she thought too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ouch, yes dear /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Skipper is the one what makes the decisions, innit ?

Er, yeh, guess you're right /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif