Italy locked down #C19

sailaboutvic

Visit site
At this moment there nothing stopping us from leaving , as it happen one did leave this morning , the question tho is where do you head for,
We had two distention Tunisia and a week before we was leaving that become impossible unless you wanted to spend 14 days not being able to leave the boat , our second was Malta and one day before we set sail that's been taken away . .
We could sail non stop to France or Spain each around 500 miles but them what ?
The way this is moving what happens if when you arrive they too have closed there boarders .

rib

Visit site
At this moment there nothing stopping us from leaving , as it happen one did leave this morning , the question tho is where do you head for,
We had two distention Tunisia and a week before we was leaving that become impossible unless you wanted to spend 14 days not being able to leave the boat , our second was Malta and one day before we set sail that's been taken away . .
The way this is moving what happens if when you arrive they too have closed there boarders .
Gonna be a fun year,least turkey has a big enough coast line to explore all year ?.hope you are well

Star-Lord

Visit site
Maybe Italy is the best place to be. My city seems deserted. Lots of nice anchorages in North Sardinia, maybe this year they will not be so crowded. I think if you do move Mallorca is good be because it has amazing hospitals and good anchorages. River G on the border was one thought but hospital care there is terrible - assuming you get a bad dose. I enclose a picture of WattsApp message from a real person with the virus... Which would be the same for over 80% for the rest of us...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310-140443_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200310-140443_Twitter.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 42

MapisM

Visit site
I enclose a picture of WattsApp message from a real person with the virus...
From a meeting in Boston? How come?
According to Trump, in the US they are immune to just about anything...!

PS: Btw, S-L, do you live in Cagliari?
I don't, but almost - that's where I am at the moment, in fact.

Star-Lord

Visit site
From a meeting in Boston? How come?
According to Trump, in the US they are immune to just about anything...!

PS: Btw, S-L, do you live in Cagliari?
I don't, but almost - that's where I am at the moment, in fact.
I will PM you and we can meet for Spritz, if you are allowed out!

One A.

Visit site
Spain is closing schools in certain regions and Spain's top soccer league said 'La Liga football matches will be played behind closed doors for at least two weeks'. I don't think making a jump to Mallorca from Italy is a good idea ; potentially out of the frying pan into the fire. On Thursday the government will roll out its long/short-term plan.

Yngmar

Visit site
Just went for a walk across town to Lidl today. Not much apparent, perhaps a bit quieter than usual and some bars (= cafes) and a china shop were just taping "closed for holiday" signs onto their doors. Few old ladies holding scarves in front of their faces and the odd face mask here and there. Lots of discarded single-use gloves on the floor outside. Only shelves that were low on stock were milk, eggs and flour. Plenty of toilet paper, but then many people here use bidets.

Marina office is closed, events cancelled, some staff are running around in face masks today and post gets delivered to the boat now. Some delays but postal system not collapsed yet.

There's rumours the Oceanica yard is considering shutting down to send workers home. No talk of that at Martello (the other yard in town).

As all non-essential travel outside of the local commune is now restricted (except for work, medical and repatriation traffic), that must surely include pleasure cruising from port to port in Italy, so until this is lifted we couldn't even go for another round-Sicily cruise or to Sardinia. There's also problems with people that had rental cars booked from Catania, which they now cannot go to pick up, and those who have them already cannot go to return them. Other boaters who went home for winter cannot get to their boats anymore and are missing haulout dates, although perhaps they're better off staying where they are.

Interesting times... ?

Star-Lord

Visit site
Jus
Just went for a walk across town to Lidl today. Not much apparent, perhaps a bit quieter than usual and some bars (= cafes) and a china shop were just taping "closed for holiday" signs onto their doors. Few old ladies holding scarves in front of their faces and the odd face mask here and there. Lots of discarded single-use gloves on the floor outside. Only shelves that were low on stock were milk, eggs and flour. Plenty of toilet paper, but then many people here use bidets.

Marina office is closed, events cancelled, some staff are running around in face masks today and post gets delivered to the boat now. Some delays but postal system not collapsed yet.

There's rumours the Oceanica yard is considering shutting down to send workers home. No talk of that at Martello (the other yard in town).

As all non-essential travel outside of the local commune is now restricted (except for work, medical and repatriation traffic), that must surely include pleasure cruising from port to port in Italy, so until this is lifted we couldn't even go for another round-Sicily cruise or to Sardinia. There's also problems with people that had rental cars booked from Catania, which they now cannot go to pick up, and those who have them already cannot go to return them. Other boaters who went home for winter cannot get to their boats anymore and are missing haulout dates, although perhaps they're better off staying where they are.

Interesting times... ?
Just seen a motor boat in Cagliari slip lines and go for a spin.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nothing wrong with taking the boat out for a spin and returning to the same port they came from. I expect that may be what we'll end up doing if this goes on into summer :-/
With the amount of fouling on your boat , I doubt you be going any where hahaha , of course you could always go in for a swim , oh while your there check on my prop, I wish I didn't get my bag taken off now .
I take it Friday night happy hour is now off ?

Yngmar

Visit site
With the amount of fouling on your boat , I doubt you be going any where hahaha , of course you could always go in for a swim , oh while your there check on my prop, I wish I didn't get my bag taken off now .
I take it Friday night happy hour is now off ?

Don't you wish you'd gone to Malta yesterday? :) No need to hurry with the spring clean now, is there.

Café Letterario was still open when we walked past earlier, could go and ask. Restaurants are apparently only allowed to open until 6pm. Saw some people having lunch in the normally empty ristorante Logico near the carabinieri station.

Good summary here https://www.thelocal.it/20200310/ar...out-the-coronavirus-quarantine-rules-in-italy

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We
Don't you wish you'd gone to Malta yesterday? :) No need to hurry with the spring clean now, is there.

Café Letterario was still open when we walked past earlier, could go and ask. Restaurants are apparently only allowed to open until 6pm. Saw some people having lunch in the normally empty ristorante Logico near the carabinieri station.

Good summary here https://www.thelocal.it/20200310/ar...out-the-coronavirus-quarantine-rules-in-italy
could have kicked ourself , we did all the DOH forms yesterday , my first thought this morning while still in bed was to just go even tho we may have to motor most of the way , then I looked at the news and sew that was happened that was followed by a email from the doctor at the DOH in Malta I been communicating with saying Malta is now close to all vessel from Italy including Sicily .
So it look like we here for now.
the young couple in the cat was coming with us so their not happy too.

Yngmar

Visit site
Marina just sent a translation of the government decree, explaining the rules in effect until April 3 (violation is apparently a criminal offense with up to 3 months in jail):

CORONAVIRUS VADEMECUM
DECREE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS
MARCH 9, 2020 VALID UNTIL APRIL 3, 2020

10 QUESTIONS AND 10 ANSWERS

1. Can I go out out for a walk?
YES, BUT NOT IN CROWDED PLACES AND ONLY IF NO ASSEMBLY IS CREATED. AND HOWEVER, KEEPING DISTANCES OF AT LEAST 1 METER BETWEEN PEOPLE, AVOIDING THE FORMATION OF GROUPS.

2. Can I go shopping in another Town?
SHOPPING MUST BE DONE NEAR YOUR RESIDENCE/DOMICILE, THEREFORE PRIMARILY IN YOUR TOWN.

3. Can teens, kids, families go to the park?
YES, AS LONG AS THE PLACES ARE NOT CROWDED AND ONLY IF NO ASSEMBLY IS CREATED, ALWAYS KEEPING DISTANCES OF AT LEAST 1 METER BETWEEN PEOPLE.

4. Can I go to friend's house for dinner or during the day for different reasons than the ones allowed in the DPCM?
NO, MOVEMENTS ARE ALLOWED ONLY FOR MOTIVATED WORKING REASONS OR NEEDS (e.g. GROCERY SHOPPING) OR FOR HEALTH REASONS ACCORDING TO DPCM.

5. I'm a grandpa/grandma that needs to move inside the Town or in another Town to look after the grandchildren, because my sons go to work. Can I go?
YES, MOVEMENT ALLOWED FOR NEEDS

6. I'm a divorced parent. Can I go to pick up my son to the other parent's house?
YES, MOVEMENT ALLOWED FOR NEEDS.

7. I'm an employee, can I go to the workplace?
YES, MOVEMENT ALLOWED FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES.

8. I'm an artisan/freelancer/self-employed worker, can I move for work?
YES, MOVEMENT ALLOWED FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES. BRING SELF-CERTIFICATION / DOCUMENTATION PROVING THE MOVE.

9. I'm a freelancer, can I move freely?
NO, UNLESS FOR PROVEN BUSINESS PURPOSES

10. I have elderly parents to look after, can I go to their house?
YES, MOVEMENT ALLOWED FOR NEEDS

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: SOCIAL ACTIVITIES

All activities such as pub, dancing schools, games rooms, bet centers, bingo, disco and assimilated locals are suspended.

ALLOWED ACTIVITIES: COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES

Commercial activities different than bar and restaurants are allowed, provided that the owner guarantees a contingent access and the distance of 1 meter between people.

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: LEISURE ACTIVITIES

Sport centers, gyms, pools, spa, cultural clubs, social and recreational clubs.*
*(the recreational clubs that have food and drink license close at 18.00)

ALLOWED ACTIVITIES: BAR AND RESTAURANTS

The activities of bar and restaurants are allowed from 6.00 to 18.00 with the obligation, borne by the owner, to guarantee the distance of 1 meter between clients.

ALLOWED ACTIVITIES: SHOPS

Pharmacies, parapharmacies and grocery shops are open.*
*small and big shops

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: CULTURAL ACTIVITIES

Theatres, cinemas, museums, libraries and other cultural clubs are closed.

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: SHOPPING MALLS

On Saturday and Sunday medium and big shopping centers are closed* (over 300 mq) and also the shops inside the malls.
*(excluding grocery shops)

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: CEREMONIES

Civil and religious ceremonies are suspended, including funerals.

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: SCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITIES

Classes in all Institutes of all levels and Universities are suspended. Educational services for children are suspended.

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: SPORT

Events and sport competitions of all levels and disciplines are suspended.*
(*for closed practices see the letter d) of DPCM)

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: DEMONSTRATIONS

All demonstrations and big events are suspended.

SUSPENDED ACTIVITIES: MOBILITY

Avoid any movement.
People can move:
- For regular work and professional activities that cannot be held in smart working;
- For needing reasons (such as the purchase of goods or primary services)
- For health reasons

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Marina just sent a translation of the government decree, explaining the rules in effect until April 3 (violation is apparently a criminal offense with up to 3 months in jail):
Got that earlier , I guess the BBQ are now out of the question and so is the happy hours unless held in the afternoon .
I don't understand the opening times in the bars , can the coronavirus only spread after 1800 and 0600 ?
If people are not to travel I guess that's going to apply to boats too , although not sure where anyone would sail to that not going to have a problem when they arrived.

Old Harry

Visit site
Mass panic course mostly by the news , people buying toilet rolls by the boxes I just waiting to read the world about the end shortly .
The number are small compared with people dieing or catching the flu every year , yes we have to take precautions but let take Sensible once .
On a note on Italy lock down , up to a few moment ago most flights in Italy Sicily and Sardinia was running , so it seen the lock down isn't every where as yet , let's see how the day pains out .
Ryan Air have suspended all flights to / from Italy for 4 weeks

Star-Lord

Visit site
Why Is the Coronavirus Outbreak So Bad in Italy? this is interesting...

'Italy, however, is also reporting an above average mortality rate at 4%. The average age of coronavirus patients who have died because of the virus in Italy is 81, according to the National Health Institute. Italy, which has one the world’s oldest populations, could be facing a higher mortality rate as a result of its above-average elderly population. “Italy is the oldest country in the oldest continent in the world,” Casani says. “We have a lot of people over 65.”

Casani says that pollution in northern Italy could be a factor in higher death rates. According to a report by the Swiss air monitoring platform IQAir, 24 of Europe’s 100 most polluted cities are in Italy. “Studies have shown a high correlation between mortality rates from viral respiratory conditions and pollution,” Casani says. “This could be a factor.”'