Island Packet-are they worth it?

rotrax

Visit site
For some, of course, that is true. I am sometimes reminded of a comment Sam Llewellyn made in a PBO some years ago. He had gone with his friend Hugo - who lived in a 14th century castle - to view an abandoned and free for the taking away clinker dinghy, with the object of navigating the River Severn from source to mouth in said dinghy.

"Hugo said it looked OK. To me it looked a write off. But then, Hugo was a connoisseur of the derilict!"

Boats, of course, come between new-with trouble, old-with trouble, and ones that need complete restoration.

Coming to sailing late after 45 years non stop motorcycle racing I wanted to use a boat for mildly adventurous travel.

I did not want to be fixing it all the time.

Hence our choice, which so far, has worked. We average 2,000NM's each year, so they get a reasonable amount of use.

Interesting that a 'cottage industry' has built up around the renovation and upgrading of older Island Packets in the USA. 35 Year old IP's are being done professionaly, so the owners must think they are worth it.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I've been on one at anchor, what struck me was how dingy it was , lack of light etc, I couldn't tell you the model it was a long time ago.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
A decade or two ago I went on one when we were looking for our next boat, I can’t recall the model, it was about 38ft though. It was a little strange down below, the dining table was hinged on the forward bulkhead so that it could be stored vertical against said bulkhead. It left a huge saloon space that seemed very short of handholds to me, didn’t fancy it in a seaway. It seems to me that IP boats are a bit marmite, and that’s fine. Thankfully we don’t all want or admire exactly the same things in life.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
The thing I noticed about Island Packets ashore in the boatyard - the design seemed to have given up and not bother to design the keel at all. The ones I saw just had a slab sided thick plate attached under the hull. Not bothered to do any shaping. Presumably assumed buyers only look above the waterline.

rotrax

Visit site
The thing I noticed about Island Packets ashore in the boatyard - the design seemed to have given up and not bother to design the keel at all. The ones I saw just had a slab sided thick plate attached under the hull. Not bothered to do any shaping. Presumably assumed buyers only look above the waterline.
The hull was designed by Bob Johnson who was a McDonnell Douglas aerospace designer.

The keel is just that, a keel. It will be filled with lead and then steel or iron encapsulated in epoxy cement. The protected name is "Full Foil" keel. They are heavy.

The hull, however, has been developed to suit the modest rig and shallow draught.

They do make lots of leeway but have a good motion in a seaway and handle heavy weather well.

All boats are a compromise. IP have given away sailing ability and leeway to achieve other things.

Shallow draught and the ability to be handled by a retired couple. Superb storage, good galley, strongly built. The keel you dislike wont fall off..... ;)

You pay your money and make your choice.

johnalison

Visit site
Soundly built, but as you say, a bit Marmite. My friend had a couple, the latter being 46’ -ish, which at least had the merit of having had its vomit-yellow hull painted blue. We were often guests and sailed short trips a few times. My impression was initially how much plastic was in view internally for a supposedly quality boat, and what a vast space without handholds there was in the saloon. The fittings were generally pretty substantial and I believe the wiring was fully tinned according to US rules. The rig with a furling main was not very effective in sailing terms but it was OK on a reach with enough wind. My chief grouse was the height of the centre cockpit which rolled madly, and the poor access from there to the decks, making husband and wife operation a bit challenging. They beat us soundly when motoring though!

ashtead

Visit site
I recall these being sold by Opal in uk and in those days that broker generously funded a trip to Poole harbour and green island etc for owners etc. so among the the number were IP - they seemed to handle the weather well as we sailed in company and had attracted an older owner compared to us youngsters in Bavaria and legends. I recall we left even the larger ones behind until the wind got up presumably due to their modest canvas. That said more recently met a chap from US as he crashed into our marina rather alarming as we all tried to secure him who had sailed from med where he bought and was returning to US. It seemed a lovely boat at 46ft or so but not really suited perhaps to Solent sailing should you use marina. Not certain the sterns are that Med friendly either but for passage making in rough weather at least it doesn’t slam etc. don’t think I would be tempted to buy one though even today if looking for a 44-46ft boat

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
They are definately marmite ... not my cup of tea at all, but for those who love them, make sure that if they are older than about 18 years they have had their chainplates replaced ....

Island Packets that were around 5-7 years old when this thread was started will now be of an age where their chainplates need attention.

Last edited:

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I’ve sailed on an IP SP Cruiser. Not much fun as a sailing boat but amazingly comfortable below. The galley is superb, the owners’ cabin and en suite head is also wonderful. The wheelhouse/saloon had a huge table and a great view out. Very comfortable to live aboard. Loads of stowage and big tanks. But… a tiny aft cockpit that was not really useable as anything except a small porch, and a lot of friction when trimming the all furling rig. I wasn’t too fond of the Hoyt boomed staysail but that may have been due to a poor specific set up, and addressable.

There is another cockpit at the base of the mast designed purely as a seating area but we didn’t have the right weather to try that. She performed very well under engine in some quite bouncy conditions, with little slamming, and it was a joy to sit in the helmsman’s armchair while the spray flew overhead. Definitely a motor sailer with the emphasis on motor.

Really excellent for a couple who want to spend extended periods aboard and are not too focused on pleasurable sailing.

rotrax

Visit site
I’ve sailed on an IP SP Cruiser. Not much fun as a sailing boat but amazingly comfortable below. The galley is superb, the owners’ cabin and en suite head is also wonderful. The wheelhouse/saloon had a huge table and a great view out. Very comfortable to live aboard. Loads of stowage and big tanks. But… a tiny aft cockpit that was not really useable as anything except a small porch, and a lot of friction when trimming the all furling rig. I wasn’t too fond of the Hoyt boomed staysail but that may have been due to a poor specific set up, and addressable.

There is another cockpit at the base of the mast designed purely as a seating area but we didn’t have the right weather to try that. She performed very well under engine in some quite bouncy conditions, with little slamming, and it was a joy to sit in the helmsman’s armchair while the spray flew overhead. Definitely a motor sailer with the emphasis on motor.

Really excellent for a couple who want to spend extended periods aboard and are not too focused on pleasurable sailing.
Which is exactly why we chose our SP Cruiser.

We have a boom tent, cushions and a table for our front cockpit, nicknamed the 'Jaccuzi' by some owners as that is what it looks like.

It makes it a very nice place to relax, eat and offer hospitality. The home made boom tent is adjustsble so the sun can be shielded if required.

We are unashamed 'travellers by water' not purist sailors. The SP Cruiser was/is the best compromise for our requirements within our budget.

As I and many others have stated, all boats are a compromise, some more than others!

Pic shows Jarrow Lily on the HM's pontoon at Londonderry in 2022. The second is a factory sales pic. This, if enlarged shows the front cockpit clearly, just behind the mast. Note the large swim platform. This was a major reason for choosing an SP Cruiser. First Mate was waiting for a new hip, now done. I have a knee with nuts and bolts in it. We were both struggling with the climbing on and off the 350. We NOW have 'easy on, easy off' with JL. No climbing up and down the topsides. Out of the Pilothouse, through the rear cockpit gate and onto the swim platform. Step off onto dock or pontoon.

I attach it so readers can get an idea of the colour, described as 'Pasta' if you order gel coat to match. Vomit Yellow johnalison?

We call it Custard Cream............................................... ;)

Attachments

• Londonderry.jpg
    Londonderry.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
  • ThumbWallpaper_SP_Cruiser.jpg
    ThumbWallpaper_SP_Cruiser.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
I was down the boatyard the other day and there was a Sirius 31 next door to an Island Packet. It was a very striking ensemble. The Sirius is a, a, big piece of work, it made the Packet look like a Nicholson 43.

Just saying like.

dunedin

Visit site
I was down the boatyard the other day and there was a Sirius 31 next door to an Island Packet. It was a very striking ensemble. The Sirius is a, a, big piece of work, it made the Packet look like a Nicholson 43.

Just saying like.
The Sirius generally sail very well - particularly for a bulge keeler, which many/most are.
They also make Island Packet look like Lidl prices - particularly if you spec your Sirius with all the works including carbon spars.

rotrax

Visit site
They are definately marmite ... not my cup of tea at all, but for those who love them, make sure that if they are older than about 18 years they have had their chainplates replaced ....

Island Packets that were around 5-7 years old when this thread was started will now be of an age where their chainplates need attention.
Their were factory improvements to chainplate material and drain holes were built into the internal areas. From 1998. This appears to have fixed the issue. Post 98 boats should be fine.

The factory was unaware of any post '99 chainplate failures according to the iphomeport.

However, Colin Mack is the accnowleged expert in IP Chainplate replacement and does plenty. He replaces post 98' chainplates for customers who ask for it as preventive maintainance.

Neither of our IP's have required attention as they were both post 1998.

The first Island Packet 27 sold in the UK by a UK agent is living in Chichester Marina. It looks very well indeed for its age, approaching 30 years now.

In fact, Island Swan can be mistaken for a new boat............................. ;)