Is this possible? Electrical question

stuhaynes

www.best-camping-stoves.com
Google 'towel heating rail element 500 Watt' ( there are elements from about 300W upwards available )

Then you have an off the shelf ( and cost effective ) part, no fancy electrics and the only job is to make up an adaptor for the thread or find a rail element with the right thread.

I have to say it's peeps like you lot that make this my favourite forum! Thanks to everyone who replied, it's all giving me food for thought.

rosssavage

Visit site
Stu, you mention that you can't use engine derived hot water via a take off - is it rude to ask why?

That would be the normal solution and also the easiest... Almost all engines have the take off pre plumbed, if blanked off.. Is there another reason or does your engine (which type is it?) really not have one?

stuhaynes

www.best-camping-stoves.com
Must admit, I'm a little confused.

Is the present heater 24V or 230V

A resistor isn't a good idea it would dissipate as much power as the heater which rather defeats the objective.

It may be possible to get a high power version of a light dimmer but I'm not certain if they are readily available in the kW range - try Farnell catalogue or maybe Maplins

If it powered from the battery is it possible to take a 12V tap from the battery?

Is there a specific problem with finding a 500W element with the correct fitting?

The immersion is 230 volt. While cruising we want to power the immersion through our 1500 watt soft start inverter. This results in a 42 amp draw on the 24 volt 220AH battery bank. As live-aboards we spend most of the year in a marina on shore power, so the 1KW immersion heater doesn't have to draw from the battery bank usually. This year we're hoping to go away on the boat for 2 or 3 weeks, so it's this period we need to cover.

Recently bought a new 65 amp alternator, but worried because it gets very hot.

As mentioned in a later reply. Finding a 500 watt immersion with the 2 1/4 BSP has not been easy so far. Surecal mention one on their site but is not included in the price list. I've emailed sales (more than a week ago) but got no response. It can get very irritating...... Hence my request for alternative ideas. Thanks again everyone :eek:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Google 'towel heating rail element 500 Watt' ( there are elements from about 300W upwards available )

Then you have an off the shelf ( and cost effective ) part, no fancy electrics and the only job is to make up an adaptor for the thread or find a rail element with the right thread.

In fact as Davidpbo gave a link 8 hours before this suggestion it's even easier.

VicMallows

Visit site
Or if you found a transformer 250v to 120V rated at 250watts the resultant 120v on the 1Kw element would reduce it to 250W.

Agree. Old fashioned solutions are easily forgotten. Even better would be one with various taps like 160/180/190/250v used in auto-transformer mode. (suitable rating of course). Took 5 minutes to find one 'in the shack'. Trouble is in today's (UK) H&S culture I would not feel comfortable even giving it away as a working item.....ESPECIALLY after having 'advised' on how it could be used. Sad, I know.

Vic