Is this not just another TAX con?

mpopeye

Visit site
They can still let us have reduced tax fuel, just not red fuel. if this was the EU dictating tax levels then would not are drink and tobaco tax amounts also come in line.

I am sure I have missed the point somewhere but why should I pay road duty for th fuel in a boat that does not go on the road.

SimonC

Visit site
Europe dictates a minimum tax level for energy products; states can tax as high as they like.

Not sure if there is an equivalent on alcohol and tobacco, but I suspect not.

On the environmental issue, it's worth remembering that recreational marine use accounts for just 0.05% of the UK's total diesel consumption (if I remember rightly). So even forcing half of the country's boaters off the water would have a miniscule impact on the UK's climate change targets.

gjgm

Visit site
dont forget in the latest GVT report they mention traditional lightbulbs as being non enrgy efficient, and so ought to be taxed under Gordons new supergreen wheeze. Think the Sun had it too true.. Tony is going to save the world, and we re going to pay. 2 stroke outboards... an intergalactic catastrohphe waiting to happen. Mobos.. arrrggg, choke,choke..I cant breathe.