Is this a link switch

Shifty

Visit site
My port engine is failing to turn over and I suspect battery problems. I have no link switch on the helm but discovered these in the engine room. Do folks think that’s what these are for?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FF0E6E0F-BA3F-41CE-89BE-FAAE8CC39AFD.jpeg
    FF0E6E0F-BA3F-41CE-89BE-FAAE8CC39AFD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My port engine is failing to turn over and I suspect battery problems. I have no link switch on the helm but discovered these in the engine room. Do folks think that’s what these are for?
Thanks in advance.
I doubt it, i think you will find they are the main battery isolator switches for the engine batteries. I guess you have key switches or light weight switches at/near the helm for turning the batteries on. Those switches will activate the "switches" in your picture. A multimeter at the switches will confirm, you you might be able to check by putting you ear to the switches or putting your hand on them while someone else operates the helm switches.

You can fit an emergency switch between the two of them, connect it to the load terminals of each switch. Doesn't need to be the same as those, it can just be a simple, manual battery switch.

FYI, they are not usually called "electric switches" they are relays.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That’s very helpful, I must have a link switch elsewhere, cannot believe it was built without looking at the build/wiring of the rest of the boat.
Thanks for your time.
Not uncommon for there to be no link switch, my Princess was never fitted with one and both of my engines start from the same set of batteries, so flat batteries equals dead in the water. I fitted a manual link switch as soon as i bought the boat.

Shifty

Visit site
Not uncommon for there to be no link switch, my Princess was never fitted with one and both of my engines start from the same set of batteries, so flat batteries equals dead in the water. I fitted a manual link switch as soon as i bought the boat.
Maybe that’s the case then. I have 4 AGM start batteries linked together in pairs to give me 24 volts.

wonkywinch

Visit site
My Beneteau Oceanis didn't have a link switch either so I fitted one for not much money.

Switch from 12v Planet £17 and a couple of premade battery leads from Ebay for about £5.

Marine Battery Isolator Switch, Removable Actuator- 2 Posn, 300A, IP67

Marine-battery-isolator-switch-300A-panel-mount-removable-key.png