Is there a product for this job?

Luki-lusaki

Visit site
Just found by chance a leak around the seacock. Not a lot, but now I know it is there, it is a worry. Is there a product I can use on a wet surface? The seacock is seated on a square of wood, I suspect a poor job by the shipyard as I had the seacocks serviced a year ago.
I have tried Bostick liquid rubber which was no good at all. I live in Italy and rely on Amazon.

Your advice would be most welcome, thanks.

Neeves

Visit site
CTI will accept some movement, epoxy tends to be brittle - when they have cured. CT1 needs moisture to set. You really need to be able to apply some pressure as the water will weep under what ever you use. If there is a clamping ring that screws down from the inside - if you lift the ring up, or away from the hull material (gelcoat) you can apply CT1, screw the ring back down, and that may be enough to allow the CT1 to set off and seal the leak.

Otherwise you are looking at slipping the yacht.

Jonathan

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
If the seacock is leaking, that probably means it is moving. I would guess that ...
  • It was never tightened down properly, or
  • The wood block was not fitted to the curve of the hull and has bent to fit, loosing compression, or
  • There is pipe strain and too much hanging on the inside, pulling the seacock loose.
They don't just start leaking. There has to be movement. If so, it will probably get worse.

steveeasy

Visit site
CT1 is a remarkable product. Had a very large rubber joiner between two 150mm pipes. was leaking badly as joiner was perished. whilst it was leaking 1 litre a min I applied CT1. it set while wet and three years on no leaks at all.

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Dry the boat out and take out the seacock and go from there if the wooden pad is not bedded down or conforming to the hull reshape it, the chances are though as thin water said the yard didn't do the final tightening up and just nipping it up may resolve the problem at least in the short term depending on if the wooden pad has become so saturated that it may start to rot in which case it needs replacing at your leisure.

SvenH

Visit site
"If the seacock is leaking, that probably means it is moving. I would guess that ..."

Agreed, anything you do with the boat in the water is likely to be a band aid, it probably needs to be redone.

One more way to fail could be that there was some space left in the seams where water gradually found its way through, then eroding away at the wood. But it would need to be old wood or poor quality.

If close to a lift out option in case of an emergency, you could try tightening the nut on the through hull.