Is "Over" out????

pvb

Visit site
Is \"Over\" out????

Whilst sitting idly in the cockpit the other evening, listening to the port radio, it occurred to me that no-one was saying "Over" or "Out". Now this was in the UK's busiest container port. So why don't these professional mariners use the "mandatory" radio language everyone else is taught? Is "Over" really out of use??

G

Re: Is "Over" out????

Whilst being incorrect - if the conversation is a series of obvious exchanges between two stations that know each others habits and speech patterns then "Over" becomes superfluous and is often not used to save air time.

Equally (and again incorrect) when a conversation has obviously ended there's no real benefit to use up air time with one station saying "Out" followed by the other station saying "Out". So one "Out" and the lack of a response is often used as an ending.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Out is Over ?

Originally the early radio equipment had very primative technology with poor squelch controls and static, hum, squeeks and everything else. It was difficult to tell when a station finished sending and the when the a station was waiting for a reply hence "over" to indicate that "I have finished speaking for the moment and am awaiting a reply".

Nowadays with the clarity, squelch control and all, you can often hear all you need and more and even a microphone click or a drop out /increase of background noise that gives the end of transmission signal, so some operators consider no need for "over". However in difficult conditions and marginal circumstances always use "over". Indeed "over" is a good habit and consumes very little airtime, compared with much of the meaningless prattle and gossip often heard on the airwaves. Also "over" is a good indicator to other stations that you are an experienced operator capable of effective and efficient communication. Sometimes considered by some to be a vertue.

Incidently at the completion of transmission and closing down with the other station "Out" should be used not "over & out" because "over" indicates that a reply is still being awaited.

G

Re: Is \"Over\" out????

Whilst having read all the previous comments on if over or out should be used in operating a VHF set. Anyone who got into those kind of bad habits of not using the correct terms as laid down by the examining body are themselves infringing the terms of use . It is good and sound practice to follow what is taught , in the restricted operators examination, and I am sure that such examiners would not look on the misuse of a VHF set.
Over !"

G

Errrrrr ....... I didn't say I did it - I just said that it's done.

;o)

Ian D

B

bob_tyler

Re: Don\'t you mean to say "Out".

Not if he was expecting your reply!

ROGER - Message received and understood.

OVER- It's your turn.

WILCO (not often used) - I've got your message and will do what you suggest - for example meet you in the bar at the Jolly Sailor. (Really meant originally in Service terms - I have received your orders and WILll COmply.

OUT - Makes it very clear that it is the end of this conversation. No acknowledgement required.

SAY AGAIN was used in the Services as REPEAT referred to gunfire and could bring down more shells on your head.

If used correctly these terms can usefully save time, eliminate uncertainty and reduce time on the air, letting others have time to waffle on the airwaves or even send urgent messages.

I concur that OVER should never used with OUT.

G

Re: Don\'t you mean to say \"Out\".

In that case Bob say again all after TANGO
EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee

G

My understanding is that.....

It takes two to TANGO.

But only one to ROGER.

G

Re: Say again.

"Contact" also has a military meaning and is often replaced by "get in touch with".

G

Ian..I fully agree with you. Exchanges between known operators and stations is often cut short to avoid blocking the airwaves.To give an example,when I fished out of Ramsgate and made initial contact with the base station before leaving the traffic would be as follows "Seafarer Base,,Girl Andrea,,RBT,,2 fishing North Sand Head". I would get reply "5 by 5 Roger". That was the end of it! In that message I had given vessel name,asked for Radio Broadcast Test,number of people aboard and area working and was told I was transmitting loud and clear and they understood where I was going.Having said that I still use the "overs and outs" when sailing and talking to the CG.
peter

G

Re: My understanding is that.....

Just depends I always thought it took two to Rodger.!
EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee