Is Greece the place to winter & sell a yacht?

Tranona

Visit site
Good afternoon:

I guess I expressed my thoughts poorly - I did not wish to suggest that yachts were in danger in Greece but that a yacht that was hastily taken to a marina in Greece and left unattended would not be as safe as this particular yacht is today where there are a number of people who were friends of the late owner and are only too happy to keep an eye on it making sure it is safe and that nothing untoward happens to it. It is safely secured in a berth that it has occupied for at least ten years in one of the safest marina I know - it can come to no harm where it is.

Cheers

Squeaky

While it is useful to have people to keep an eye on the boat while it is not being used, the purpose now is to sell it, and there is a better chance of selling it in Greece. Selling a boat in the EU is much more likely than outside because it is more desirable. While the VAT issue may not worry some people, it is real and there, so selling inside the EU makes the boat potentially more valuable, apart from being located where it is easier to view.

Squeaky

Visit site
Safety withstanding he still wants to sell it. Netsel vs Preveza...................Preveza, out on the hard all the way.

Good evening Carmel2:

Possibly you could expand on your reasons for thinking that Preveza is a better location to sell this yacht.

In addition to the reasons I stated above about security the yacht is in the water and readily available for a test sail.

Secondly there are a number of surveyors available to survey it.

Rhodes is only 25 miles away so the yacht could be sailed there and the sale could be finalized with the documentation verified at the local UK consulate forestalling any VAT questions.

Am interested in your reason for preferring Preveza over Marmaris.

Cheers

Squeaky

macd

Visit site
the sale could be finalized with the documentation verified at the local UK consulate forestalling any VAT questions.

Mmm. Good luck with that. From gov.uk: "Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them.".
Not that it should be a handicap: a notarised bill of sale should more than suffice. I suspect that most private sales don't even go that far. And popping to Rhodes is a well-trodden path, although sometimes done rather notionally.

ostra4

Visit site
If it was my boat Id move her to Greece simply because of the perceived / real security issues around Turkey just now .The yards around Preveza /Lefkas are a relatively pleasant drive from Athens .The weather is another matter as those yards can be grim desolate places in the pouring rain ..like anywhere .With the object of selling you just can't have too many pictures as Im sure you know plus quick and precise communication with folk who enquire..Best of luck with the sale .

charles_reed

Visit site
A friend of mine has inherited a Classic 1978 Amel Maramu46 Ketch, presently in Marmaris, Turkey. She intends to sell it as soon as possible but is having little success in Turkey, maybe because of the political problems there deterring visitors.

One option would be to sail her to Greece where there could be more winter flights and customers around. Any advise from the knowledgeable forum members already in Greece on a good place to park and market the boat there would be much appreciated.

If any one is looking for a bargain, you could check her out on appolloduck.com.

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=468240

Assuming the OP is enquiring as to where it's most likely to successfully sell a yacht during the coming winter..
Not Turkey - political considerations and travel costs likely to be against.
Assuming Greece, a site close to Venizelos is essential - most only seem to know about the N Ionian winter places, such as Preveza, Corfu and Levkas, all of which are a slog for winter travel.
I'd suggest Olympic marina @ Lavrion, a fairly easy drive from Venizelos AP, in a reasonably professional-looking marina with a reasonable broker, who speaks English and Italian (not so sure about his French).
The boat will probably be more popular in France than in the UK and the half-hearted entries in Apolloduck need to be vastly improved.
The whole exercise will be quite expensive, involving about 10% of the boat's asking price.
Speed of the essence as unoccupied boats quickly degenerate

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just a point on getting to and from Preveza out of season. Whilst direct flights to Preveza stop in early November and don't start again until late March, there are several flights a day into Corfu, albeit via Athens. Ferry to Igonoumitsa (roughly hourly) and pick up a hire car there. Considerably less hassle than driving from either Thesiloniki or Athens and Aegean Air is pretty reasonable off season, as the Athens/Corfu leg is somewhat subsidised.

Tintin

Visit site
Just a point on getting to and from Preveza out of season. Whilst direct flights to Preveza stop in early November and don't start again until late March, there are several flights a day into Corfu, albeit via Athens. Ferry to Igonoumitsa (roughly hourly) and pick up a hire car there. Considerably less hassle than driving from either Thesiloniki or Athens and Aegean Air is pretty reasonable off season, as the Athens/Corfu leg is somewhat subsidised.

No need to go to igonumitsa and muck around with buses or hire cars - there is a little known but excellent local plane (skyexpress) that goes to and from corfu and preveza.

I use it a lot and it is really good.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
No need to go to igonumitsa and muck around with buses or hire cars - there is a little known but excellent local plane (skyexpress) that goes to and from corfu and preveza.

I use it a lot and it is really good.

Yes but I think you'll find that the service only operates during the tourist season. Preveza effectively shuts down as a civil airport out of season and that includes Skyexpress service. I was trying to explain an out of season option for travel to Preveza......

Tintin

Visit site
Yes but I think you'll find that the service only operates during the tourist season. Preveza effectively shuts down as a civil airport out of season and that includes Skyexpress service. I was trying to explain an out of season option for travel to Preveza......

Yes, 30th Sept is the last Skyexpress from Corfu this year.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
We note your paranoia about Olympic - many have experiences which don't support your opinion.

Charles I have a letter from Amlin Insurance stating t hey would never allow for any yacht covered by them to use that yard. Seen by others on this forum including i beleve Jim of the CA.
But obviously you know better. ..

Last edited:

Zola

Visit site
Many thanks all for your help and advice. This is a great forum and as always, some great assistance and common sense information here.
In the end, we decided to move the Amel to our home port, Torrevieja on the Spanish Costa Blanca. It says a lot about the boat, although she had been stood for quite some time, we did the 1700 mile trip from Marmaris to Torrevieja in 17 days! When I get time, I will write about the trip.
Now, Tir Na Nog is up for sale with the local broker, Navicularia. A bargain for some one who wants to do some serous cruising. Thanks again guys for all your help. :)

Tintin

Visit site
Many thanks all for your help and advice. This is a great forum and as always, some great assistance and common sense information here.
In the end, we decided to move the Amel to our home port, Torrevieja on the Spanish Costa Blanca. It says a lot about the boat, although she had been stood for quite some time, we did the 1700 mile trip from Marmaris to Torrevieja in 17 days! When I get time, I will write about the trip.
Now, Tir Na Nog is up for sale with the local broker, Navicularia. A bargain for some one who wants to do some serous cruising. Thanks again guys for all your help. :)

The photos on the Navicularia site are really not very good.