is Gibraltar a good place for a live aboard?

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Thanks John, I'm tempted to buy a camper van and explore Gibraltar and the Spanish coast before buying a boat and also get an idea of what the weather will be like in winter.
I'm 70 years old and selling the boat. If I buy another it will have two motors and be GRP. I also have a camper van which was here in Spain last year and will be next. It's a far less complicated way to travel, in winter "so called" wild camping in small village car parks and along sea fronts where you will see two or three gathered together all over the place. Having said that it's living on the move so you don't build a circle of pals doing it or necessarily learn about the sort of local services all ex pats need. www.motorhomefacts.com is a good place to start, there's loads on "full timing" on that site. Near Duquesa there's a very nice English run sea front camp site, Bella Vista I think, with lots of over wintering residents. That might be a nice option, used as a base to discover southern Spain.

Final note. I believe motorhomes are not allowed in Gibralter, only by residents with their own parking. There's a large sandy car park just down the road from the border and motorhomes seem to gather there and stay sometimes for weeks. Of course how long you can stay in one place before visiting a "real" camp site depends on water, and dumping waste, and that depends on the van you buy.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Hiya. We have lived aboard in Gibraltar for the past 7 years and also spent lots of years previously here.

Marmite place I suppose, love it or hate it!

Just wondering how La Linea gets so much better winter weather when it's 600 yards away.....

Anyway, happy to answer any questions you got, will be back Friday pm, can send you a PM if you prefer.

To start, try Ocean Village website for prices, the other Marina is similar. La Linea smidge cheaper but not much there.
Gib car parking nightmare, but don't need one.

Lots of winter berths available, quite a few liveaboards.

Tax never been an issue. Have never been asked in Gib, Spain, Morocco or anywhere else come to that!!

Weather was good through til January, February and March were mostly pants. In fact got rained on today sailing from Marbella to Duquesa, but forecast for next few days Scorchio and should hopefully stay that way!

CS

I totally second that. Gibraltar is a wonderful place to be and Queensway Quay is well protected a marina within the main harbour. The other one is OK as well. There are liveaboards here and sailors as well. Make no mistake if you keep your boat in Spain, and overstay the 182 days rule then without a doubt one day the Guardia will catch up with you and you will be deemed a resident and have to pay 12% matriculation tax on their value of your boat... more info here

http://www.michaelbriant.com/boat_import.htm

It's a bit like speeding, you get away with it for ages then out of the blue come the boys with their fines but 12% matriculation tax will make a speeding fine look like small change. Gib is outside all that which is why so many folks from the USA, Canada and the Antipodes spend time there... I love Cartagena, hate la Linea, adore Mahon and enjoy Almirima, probably the least expensive marina in the Western Med.

The language problem in most Costa marinas simply does not exist. The marina staff and all local commerce speak English.

fair winds,

Michael

sunsailor

Visit site
Thanks again for all the replies!
What is the sea like to sail on around Gibraltar. Are there strong tides? Does the water level in the marinas rise and fall significantly? I know there are no tides in the med but not sure about Gibraltar?
I'll probably buy a boat in la linea to keep the vat paid status. Having done this can I just reserve a marina place in Gibraltar and turn up and stay for a few years? Are there any taxes to pay or is my only expense marina fees?
I was reading on a Gibraltar government website that if you stay for 183 days or more in a year or 300 days in 3 years you are classed as a resident. Would I then be liable to pay any taxes to the Gibraltar government on income from savings or earnings that I have got in the UK?

Thanks
Simon

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thanks again for all the replies!
What is the sea like to sail on around Gibraltar. Are there strong tides? Does the water level in the marinas rise and fall significantly? I know there are no tides in the med but not sure about Gibraltar?
I'll probably buy a boat in la linea to keep the vat paid status. Having done this can I just reserve a marina place in Gibraltar and turn up and stay for a few years? Are there any taxes to pay or is my only expense marina fees?
I was reading on a Gibraltar government website that if you stay for 183 days or more in a year or 300 days in 3 years you are classed as a resident. Would I then be liable to pay any taxes to the Gibraltar government on income from savings or earnings that I have got in the UK?

Thanks
Simon

Tide level at spring might change 2-3 foot but that's maximum. In la Linea they are all floating fingers

You can buy a Spanish boat from a Spanish national and I think you will be OK - check with Alex Chumillas - contact towards bottom of http://www.michaelbriant.com/boat_import.htm

Not sure the implications of flying a Spanish Flag as to do so 'normally' you need a Spanish boat drivers licence and that is complicated as all the exams are in Spanish... They will not accept UK qualifications. If the boat is UK flagged you do not need to have qualifications.... If you 'import' the boat to Spain you pay the 12% duty and can keep the flag British... Again talk to Alex.

The 182 days rule is not really enforced in Gibraltar. Each time you take the boat out the clock starts again. Income Tax is 12% in Gib and double taxation applies but probably not worth the hassle unless you are seriously rich...

Your only expense in Gib will be mooring fees and they are cheaper than almost anywhere on the Costa's but you almost certainly need to book ahead with one or other Marina.

Michael

Last edited:

sunsailor

Visit site
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply.
when referring to buying a boat in la linea rather than Gibraltar I was not specifically meaning buying a Spanish boat. I believe that you should always move a boat to la linea from Gibraltar just for the sale to preserve the vat paid status.
I'll certainly be flying a British flag.
The double taxation rule I hope means that if I pay all my taxes on income and savings in the UK as I do now I won't have to pay any taxes in Gibraltar if I move there unless I get a job in Gibraltar?
I'm pleased to read that the tide is small so hopefully there are no strong currents getting in and out of the marina ?

Thanks
Simon