Is everyone still buying Red?

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondered whether the consensus was to keep using Red till we're actually prevented from buying it, or whether people are starting to change over, to start to get the Red flushed out of the system.

I discovered that siphoning my tank leaves about 5 litres in the tank. So draining and refilling with white would make it over 10% Red.

duncan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondered whether the consensus was to keep using Red till we're actually prevented from buying it

[/ QUOTE ]

can't answer for a consensus but this is certainly my route. I cannot see any reason at all for an alternative ..........

MrCramp

Visit site
Don't understand the point of the question. Why on earth would anyone put clear diesel in a boat when red diesel is cheaper. If Gordon decides to change things then he will have to let hundreds of thousands of boat users use up their old red diesel and even he is not stupid enough to legislate otherwise. I reckon I'll be useing my red diesel for many many years to come.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
As long as you've bought your red legally - anywhere C&E can not force you to ditch it.

Our fuel tank holds 105gal - at 3ltr/hr that's well over a year's worth of fuel. One stop/year @ one of the Channel Islands (not in the EU - not affected by the whole red diesel issue) will keep us in red diesel for life.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
If precedent is anything to go by, C & E will take no notice of what we have in our fixed tanks which could of course have been bought legally in Jersey etc. The parallel is when we sail with our cheaper red into France, which prices its diesel to EU standards, no one turns a gun on us or demands the tax difference.

There might be some side swipe that limits Jersey red fuel on board to the main tank, with nothing in backups - to stop us trading when we return? How does Dr Brown sleep at night, worrying over the excise he could be getting from us?

I guess, the UK C & E will merely insist that all fuel supplied in the UK to pleasure craft is hit with the tax. Our hope is this tax level will be the minimum required to comply with the EU directive, not the guzzling level of excise now taken on high street diesel. Some hope!

Brown might well go for the tax now, whatever colour, and allow the marine industry to move to white diesel with time; what does Brown care - he only wants the tax as part of his creepy "fair for all" levelling down agenda.

If anyone truly believes the Treasury really tried to maintain this very sensible derogation, they need their heads flushed...

PWG

nedmin

Visit site
Lets get this into perspective, C&E dont give a Sh** about a few boaters they have got other things to think about.Where I moor blokes with diesel cars have been filling cans for there cars for years.I have it on good authority that most if not all the Taxi,s in Hull use red diesel.I have filled 2X 45galls drums with red which will keep me going for a while.Sod em!!.For water and sewage at home I now pay over £500 its all scandalous.

Heckler

Visit site
i bought 5 galls of red this afternnon in pwllheli marina, the govt is consulting on how to implement it, it wont be in force till the end of the year. interesting, a local garage sells red out of a roadside pump for the local farmers tractors etc. any way i went to buy some white at the usual pump and he motioned me to the red pump and said we are selling the white out of this pump now. i know he hasnt "cleaned " the tank so theres a good chance that the white is contaminated with "chemical " marker. good excuse if i get stopped by the reveners!! and if you think about it how many times has any one with a diesel car been stopped by the reveners and had their tanks dipped??

Heckler

Visit site
local taxi firm got done recently, reveners looked at his vat returns and checked his invoices, loads of taxis but no invoices/claims for fuel!! plonker!!

Sans Bateau

Visit site
If I remember correctly, filling up at Boatworks in Guernsey last year the fuel was white. I questioned the price of the diesel, as it was the same price as our MDL marina charge. I was told it was the same as road fuel, so the 50 odd p they were charging might be the same but was for a better grade of fuel.

So filling up in the CI will be with white not red fuel.

rickp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So filling up in the CI will be with white not red fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

White in Guernsey, yes - but I believe its red in Jersey.

Rick

Sailfree

Visit site
Not clear on this.

Is red fuel a dyed white fuel to show no duty paid in the UK?

If not is white a superior diesel fuel to red?

I remember white in Guernsey, if so why would Jersey bother to dye theirs red?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
SBC, Nigel is the expert on this. But I am sure that red diesel is not only dyed red but also is just an agricultural/plant fuel. Road fuel has a more powerful bang plus it contains all the additives we currently squirt into the tank before we put the red in.

I am sure I read (or is that red) a thread that suggested in using road fuel, with its additives, we will be less likely to suffer the nasties that can grow in our fuel tanks now.