Is DSC worth fitting yet?

G

Our VHF set has just packed up and needs replacing.
At present we don't have the DSC licence so that could be a problem. Is it worth fitting a DSC set at present or would it be better to fit just a VHF set and worry about a DSC attachment some time in the future?

alanhanson

Visit site
we have just had one fitted on ours it is the simrad &is all in one box .
but if you retro fit later you will end up with 2 boxes so space needs to be considered
the quality is good we regularly pick calls fron a greater distance than you would expect i think for the extra for me it was well worth the mney rather than messing later

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
If you don't do it now, you'll wish you had in a few year's time.

BTW, rec'd a GMDSS Mayday a couple of weeks back. The noise the box made would have woken me if I'd been battened into the forepeak. If it had been a spoken shout I'd probably have missed it.

So you don't just fit DSC for yourself, but for others.

AndrewD

Visit site
Same happened to me and I fitted a Simrad standard VHF that can take a retro-fit DSC controller. When I have to change, I will just add the DSC unit, and you can bet by then it will be a lot cheaper. Make sure you have space tho.

No sig is a good sig

snowleopard

Visit site
try getting a non-dsc set!!

only dsc-compatible sets can be bought these days (apart from hand-helds) so your choice is limited: get dsc now or add it later.

h4nym

www.mustapha.com
Re: PS

Just a little something on the test... please please please for your own sake read the book cover to cover. Then make sure you have the accompanying self-assessment test book. You'll find it invaluable for the exam! Trust me!