Is chemical metal as good as they say?

G

I've chipped a lump off one of the blades on my aluminium propeller. I was looking around for a repairer and saw a tube of 'chemical metal' by plastic padding ltd. Lo and behold, in their diagrams of recommended uses was a propeller with almost exactly the same damage as mine. Needless to say the 'after' picture looked just like new (surprise). Anyone used it on a prop? Did it really work?

G

I have not used it for repairing a prop, but on other things I have not found it quite as successful as it sounds is should be. It tends to be a bit too brittle and therefore suffers if it needs to flex at all. Easy to get an aluminium prop repaired by a good welder I would have thought. I have before now for the princely sum of £20.

G

I've repaired props many times this way. It's temporary only - I used to do it every few weeks to keep the prop the right shape and balanced, and then send it away at the end of the season to get it rebuilt. Boating out of Christchurch, dinging the prop is an occupational hazard, and even at only £20 a go, prop repairs get expensive.