Iridium Satellite phones

TonyMills

Visit site
I'm about to buy one of these (at great and considerable expense I might add!) for a my grand voyage across the Indian Ocean. The supplier has suggested that I also purchase a marine antenna (at more great and considerable expense) as this will improve quality of comms.

My understanding is that they work well enough with the standard handset antenna. Does anyone in Jester land have experience of these units?

Regards
TonyM

Independence

Visit site
I rented one for the Azores challenge and found reception and connectivity on the whole very good with just the normal aerial. I didn't rent the marine antenna. Of course it could be a different matter elsewhere around the globe.

Next time I would send more text messages rather than tele calls as they were a lot cheaper....so I found out when I got back. Also, people at home can send free texts via their website.

Good luck

CPD

Visit site
I second Paul's comments completely. The Iridium woirked very very well and if you are clever enough to link it up to a pc then it can do weather etc too.

TonyMills

Visit site
Thanks to you both.

The coverage of Iridium is pretty universal as for as I know. Any way I'll test the standard arial out first and see.

I agree text messages will be more reasonably priced. The company I expect to buy from have offered to take my notebook (small solid state web book) and install the sotware and get the links working. They seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks for the info

Kind Regards
Tony

Noddy

Visit site
So it has come to this: Even out at sea, one of the few remaining places where we are responsible for our own destiny, we are dependent on the techies and their satanic gizmos. Remotely pressing the buttons of our content.

Its all a big conspiracy to make your loved ones feel better and then 'splosh' The super duper techno salvation machine works no more. The illusion of togetherness is shattered with a screech of digital agony and heart rending consequenses.

Now your loved ones begin to worry. Your trip is ruined because you know they are worried and the pressure is on to get in touch to allay their fears.

Do not be seduced by this unattural, electricity based, trickery. Semaphore and shouting are the best way. At least when it doesn't work your loved ones will know why.

"But I can get the weather" I hear you whine as you cling to your pathetically beeping emotional prop. Wasn't it Blondie himself who declared that the most useless thing on a boat is the barometer. So it is with GRIB files.

Phew! I enjoyed that - Right! Back to Work.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
'Splosh'

Not having a set of opening front windows like some, I don't have a problem with this. However, a Russian satellite recently collided with an Iridium causing a lot of extra space debris, which will probably collide with something else causing even more, and so on and so forth, until nothing satellite based works any more. Until then I shall enjoy the luxury of instant position fixing, instant communication, internet, weather, EPIRBS etc etc.

When it all goes wrong, I shall, in the words of Blondie Hasler, be considered missing the moment I'm over the horizon until such time as I arrive safely somewhere else. I may even chuck my barometer overboard. It will certainly be cheaper and possibly more fun.

TonyMills

Visit site
Unfortunately I sold my sole(soul) to reduce (if not entirely remove) active resistance to the trip in the first place. ("but you will keep in touch wont you!).

Now instead of practicing knots and actually sailing I work through a list going something like:

AIS receiver
VHF arial for AIS
Digital wind instrument
406mhz EPIRB
Autopilot
bigger alternator
more/bigger batteries (total 280 amps)
Charge distribution
80 watts of solar
PC based navigation
GRIB download s/w
etc...
etc...

Anyway I'm off to some offshore islands 300 miles north at Easter for some fishing and snorkling. I'll sail solo but in company with other gizmo dependent boats (maybe not all) and drown my sorrows (and the stings of well articulated ridicule) with a few bottles of well chosen West Aus reds.

Oh and did I mention the fridge - but I must have cold beer!! and bring some fish back to show that it was all worthwhile!

Regards
Tony

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
[ QUOTE ]
So whats the useage costs oh and purchase costs of a sat phone?

text cost?
Price per min of a call?
Data transfer costs?

Just curious

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

$150USD for 75mins of call time. I can't SMS out on my phone, however I think it's around 95cents, or roughly a minute off of your 75mins of pre-paid call time. Data transfer is whatever you can do in the amount of time you've purchased - Using compression, you should be about to send and receive about 10 text-only emails in around 1 minute. In-bound SMS is free.