iphone apps

tomframe

Visit site
I am using the Navionics app, and the usual tides and weather apps - what else has anybody found that's useful for boating?
slightly addicted :)

jakeroyd

Visit site
Hi tomframe,
I don't have an iphone at the moment but one is 'pulling my chain' and saying 'buy me'. I have thought about using the navionics application to navigate with.
Looking at the navionics web page it says their iphone app must not be used for navigation.
Is this just a disclaimer ?
Can you use the application to actually navigate with ?

matelot

Visit site
Garmin tell you not to use their GPS for navigation. All about US lawyers and silly but expensive claims.

No doubt MacDonalds in the US tell you their coffee is dangerous since someone got a hot lapful.

tomframe

Visit site
My boat is still out the water so have not tried it real time, an interesting back up and great for planning in the pub

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]

Can you use the application to actually navigate with ?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the moment there is only one tool within the software and that is for measuring distances (but not bearings), though they are adding to it all the time.

Currently it is really a chart viewer, an excellent reference tool but not really useful for navigation.

It does show your current location of course and it might be interesting to plug it into a monitor, to get a good sized display.

navionics.jpg

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
I use Windguru and aeroweather for weather info, Wififofum for finding the closest free wifi and Torch to help find the washboard key slot in the dark.

eddisonj

Visit site
I couldn't find what I wanted either - so I wrote Boatie (http://itunes.com/apps/boatie)

Its got sections on Navigation giving position, COG, SOG & waypoints, Tides (5 day data from Easytide), Weather (inshore forecasts and synoptic charts in the new version about to be released) and Reference (a few hopefully useful nuggets).

I hope that I'm not breaking the rules of the forum in telling you about it - but it is a direct answer to the question.

Above all, if any of you do have it I really would welcome any feedback or suggestions. I am adding to it all the time - but have used it myself for a couple of months and genuinely have found it useful (particularly the tides and weather) which is why I published it.

James