iPad and AIS

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Follow from my last posting and not getting anywhere with my open CPN and my GPS .

as anyone found a way to connect and AIS which have a usb connection into an IPad or Sumsung tablet ?

Tranona

Visit site
Depends on whether your AIS receiver has a wifi output and your tablet has a nav app that will display the data. A Quark AIS and Navionics on a tablet will do that. Will also do it on a PC.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Depends on whether your AIS receiver has a wifi output and your tablet has a nav app that will display the data. A Quark AIS and Navionics on a tablet will do that. Will also do it on a PC.
No Wi-Fi it just has a usb connection at the end of the lead .
it was plug into a PC and worked fine but now the PC is playing up .
I have navionics on my iPad and on a tablet and trying to find a way to connect the AIS to one of them ,
what’s new boats ah

Refueler

Visit site
Follow from my last posting and not getting anywhere with my open CPN and my GPS .

as anyone found a way to connect and AIS which have a usb connection into an IPad or Sumsung tablet ?

If you have the AIS unit already ... then such as the NMEA2WiFi unit will do it as WiFi ...

Nmea2Wifi

or his later NMEA4WiFi unit ..

Nmea4Wifi

I have the 2 unit and its one of the best bits of kit I've seen for this .... designed and built by a boat owner ..

It takes the output and converts to WiFi for your tablet / PC ......

It would work for your other problem of OpenCPN and the GPS as well ....

zulloboy

Visit site
Google Yakbitz. Steve makes an excellent and economical range of wifi adaptors. I've had one for about 5 years and highly recommend both it and his support. No he's not my mate or brother-in-law, cousin etc.

Cheers, Graeme

Yngmar

Visit site
Since you already have the data on USB rather than NMEA, the hardware requirements are very low. I was doing this with a £30 router running kplex, which lets you pick up the NMEA stream from USB and multiplex it out on various TCP/UDP ports over Wifi, either in station mode joining an existing network, wired or as access point creating a new Wifi network. But that setup may be a bit daunting for non-IT folks :geek:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Since you already have the data on USB rather than NMEA, the hardware requirements are very low. I was doing this with a £30 router running kplex, which lets you pick up the NMEA stream from USB and multiplex it out on various TCP/UDP ports over Wifi, either in station mode joining an existing network, wired or as access point creating a new Wifi network. But that setup may be a bit daunting for non-IT folks :geek:
Hey email when you have time let us know how it’s going .

MoodySabre

Visit site
You’ll have to do it by Wi-F. I use a Yakker connected to my Standard Horizon vhf which has output connections. Easy. The Yakker came from Oz and took ages to arrive so a Quark or similar might be easier to get hold of.

chris-s

Visit site
So, your ais receiver thingy has a usb plug on the end, correct? In which case a yakker or quark box won’t help as they are designed to take an nmea signal and convert to wifi. At least I haven’t seen one that will take a usb INPUT.

You could try an ‘OTG’ adapter which generally allow you to connect ‘regular usb’ devices to things like tablets and phones which don’t otherwise have a ‘regular usb socket’.

However, not all usb devices will work thru the OTG adapter and some tablets/phones don’t support them or offer different levels of support. Apple devices have pretty poor support, if any, but Android devices are much better. I have used OTG adapters for things on Samsung tablets with good success tho not an AIS devices. The adapters aren’t expensive and are easily available from the likes of Amazon.

Chris

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So, your ais receiver thingy has a usb plug on the end, correct? In which case a yakker or quark box won’t help as they are designed to take an nmea signal and convert to wifi. At least I haven’t seen one that will take a usb INPUT.

You could try an ‘OTG’ adapter which generally allow you to connect ‘regular usb’ devices to things like tablets and phones which don’t otherwise have a ‘regular usb socket’.

However, not all usb devices will work thru the OTG adapter and some tablets/phones don’t support them or offer different levels of support. Apple devices have pretty poor support, if any, but Android devices are much better. I have used OTG adapters for things on Samsung tablets with good success tho not an AIS devices. The adapters aren’t expensive and are easily available from the likes of Amazon.

Chris
Type of thing I was thinking off , but apple being apple I lay money it won’t work .
I think the best bet is some king of Wi-Fi device that take use plug .
but looking at otger options now .

chris-s

Visit site
I think thst I have said previously, that I use the Smart WLN10 - Smart NMEA 0183 to WiFi Gateway - Digital Yacht.

This connects to my AIS transceiver and, then wirelessly to my iPad. Try speaking to DY. There is a very helpful person there. My AIS has a USB plug for use with a laptop.
That won't work for the OP as his AIS receiver only has a USB Type A plug on the end of it, it does not have NMEA pinouts (as I understand it).

A USB-to-WIFI bridge might work (a box that allows you to plug in a usb device and access it over wifi), but in my experience, these are finicky beasts.

It maybe that the OTG adapter won't work with the hardware involved but it is a cheap option to try.

Refueler

Visit site
Shall I post again about NMEA4WiFi ... which has also USB input ??????

Nmea4Wifi - Introduction

Quote :

THE MULTIPLEXER allows bidirectional serial and wifi communication between your smart-phone, tablet or laptop and your boat instrumentation. The Nmea4Wifi multiplexer can be simply configured using a Web Browser. It has four opto-isolated Nmea 0183 input ports and one Nmea 0183 output port. The multiplexer also has an input/output USB port. One of the 4 input ports can be configured to receive SeaTalk1 data which will be converted to Nmea 0183 data. Wifi communication can use both the UDP and the TCP internet protocols. In total there can exist 6 input streams of data (4 serial, 1 UDP and 1 TCP) and 3 output streams of data (1 serial, 1 UDP and 1 TCP). The 6 input streams can be filtered, combined and transmitted to the receivers on any of the 3 output streams. Serial output can also be filtered. You can use this multiplexer in different ways. You can use it with a PC running navigation software such as OpenCPN or you can use it with several free Apps for Android or Ios. In addition you can get Sonar Chart Live maps on your Navionics Boating HD app.