IOM TT Berth or anchoring

davierobb

www.guesthouseprestwickayr.co.uk
Hi,

Always had a trip to the IOM TT on my to do list but have been put off by high costs of accommodation during TT. Anyone have any experience of visiting IOM during TT and know if it would be possible to find pontoon or mooring or anchor during the TT?

I'm thinking of 2020, boat will be 33' bilge keeler so muddy anchorage ok.

Any information or comments appreciated.

earlybird

Visit site
For a boat that can dry out, I'd recommend Ramsey. Never known anyone turned away, although I haven't been for a few years. Douglas is also OK but more disturbance if you can't get into the inner harbour.

SAMYL

Visit site
Castletown is my favorite spot. You can dry out against the pier next to the pub and harbour masters office.
Very historic old town with great maritime museum and a castle. Good connections to Douglas etc.

Last edited:

black mercury

Visit site
I agree with Castletown, idyllic place, but watch the weather if you are there, a swell will set in with a strong south/south east wind. But you should get a space there against the wall during TT, same goes for Ramsey. Douglas and Peel get very crowded during TT. If you arrive before the middle of practice week you should get a pontoon berth in Peel, or the wall in Douglas inner harbour without rafting up. If you don't mind rafting up Peel will get you a space somewhere, but be aware that some people staying on neighbouring boats may not be used to the boating life, so you may not get a peaceful night! Port St Mary is also an option for mooring/anchoring.

Sandy Bottom

Visit site
Another for Castletown ( I have a boat there ). There will always be space - even if you use outer harbour.
Trouble with Ramsey is that once the races start you are cut off there as the roads in/out are the circuit.
As black mercury says look out for strong south and especially south east winds - if these are forecast better to go for Peel.
Not much mud here - all hard sand and even harder rocks!

Heckler

Visit site
Hi,

Always had a trip to the IOM TT on my to do list but have been put off by high costs of accommodation during TT. Anyone have any experience of visiting IOM during TT and know if it would be possible to find pontoon or mooring or anchor during the TT?

I'm thinking of 2020, boat will be 33' bilge keeler so muddy anchorage ok.

Any information or comments appreciated.

Both times Ive been you pitch up, preferably beginning of practice week, tie up to the outside pontoon and call the marina man. They squeeze you in and bobs your uncle. I draw 1.6 and touched at lo water but not an issue especially for you. Tescos nearby for shopping, 10 mins walk to Bray Hill.

macd

Visit site
Trouble with Ramsey is that once the races start you are cut off there as the roads in/out are the circuit.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. You can get as far as Ballaugh going northish then west from Ramsey, and as far as Kirkmichael going the other way. That covers almost everywhere outside the Mountain Course. (Rule #1 for TT-watching is to buy the local O.S. map.) Of course it helps if you have wheels to take advantage of this, and the premium on hire cars is at least as great as that on berths.

As others have written, arriving a few days before race week will broaden your options. It's also worth deciding on the 'where' as far in advance as possible and cultivating the relevant harbour keeper. Equally, making contact with local sailing clubs might offer dividends. Quite a lot of locals make a point of leaving The Island during TT, although nett demand for berthing is very much higher during the races.

There are not many anchorages to be trusted over a week or more, and almost none that are all-weather. Several harbours have a limited number of visitors' moorings, although most can be vulnerable to a specific wind direction: worth checking out visitmyharbour.com if you don't have relevant pilot books.

I'd recommend Peel inner harbour, but I'm biased: I used to live next to it.

P.S. If you want to sample much of the TT experience but without the congestion, aggro and general madness, consider the Manx Grand Prix. The weather in late August/early September is usually better, plus there's the world's best classic racing festival. For gents of a certain age, there's much to recommend it over the TT.

Last edited:

Sandy Bottom

Visit site
Sorry, but that's nonsense. You can get as far as Ballaugh going northish then west from Ramsey, and as far as Kirkmichael going the other way. That covers almost everywhere outside the Mountain Course. (Rule #1 for TT-watching is to buy the local O.S. map.) Of course it helps if you have wheels to take advantage of this, and the premium on hire cars is at least as great as that on berths.

As others have written, arriving a few days before race week will broaden your options. It's also worth deciding on the 'where' as far in advance as possible and cultivating the relevant harbour keeper. Equally, making contact with local sailing clubs might offer dividends. Quite a lot of locals make a point of leaving The Island during TT, although nett demand for berthing is very much higher during the races.

There are not many anchorages to be trusted over a week or more, and almost none that are all-weather. Several harbours have a limited number of visitors' moorings, although most can be vulnerable to a specific wind direction: worth checking out visitmyharbour.com if you don't have relevant pilot books.

I'd recommend Peel inner harbour, but I'm biased: I used to live next to it.

P.S. If you want to sample much of the TT experience but without the congestion, aggro and general madness, consider the Manx Grand Prix. The weather in late August/early September is usually better, plus there's the world's best classic racing festival. For gents of a certain age, there's much to recommend it over the TT.

So you are not cut off 'except for this this bit' - but I'm talking nonsense :roll eyes:

Sorry, I only live here.