Invisible leeward tell-tales!

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Sometimes it can be difficult or impossible to see the leeward tell-tales (usually when the sun is shining on the windward side of sail) with a resulting effect on jib trim or helming.

Getting windows retro-fitted doesn't really appeal and the only other alternative I can think of is getting brightly coloured tell-tales instead of my current black ones. Is this likely to work or is there another solution?

DFL1010

Visit site
The cheap option is get a pack of telltales and play around with colours - black on grey isn't the highest contrast out there. If you could find a few decimetres of fluorescent wool, so much the better!

Slightly surprised that the sail doesn't have a window - I note that 3Di (similar colour, and I'd imagine similar see-through-ability) do. If it's small enough it shouldn't alter shape too much.
Was the lack of window their idea or yours? Might be worth having a word with the sailmakers to see what the options for a window are - they really are worth it.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Tell tale windows didn't come up in the discussions when deciding the sail specifications and it wasn't something that occurred to me at the time.

I visited the loft when the sails were almost complete and did notice that another sail on the loft floor made of the same material had windows although it may be that as mine is set on a furler they don't use windows.

Will give luminous wool a go, otherwise I will speak to the sailmaker when they have their end of season clean and inspection.

lw395

Visit site
You could consider getting a jib leach tell tale and a window in the main to watch it through?
Some boats, that works well.
Black ribbon might show through the jib better than wool?
Tell tales on the main leach also help IMHO, once the jib is set.

DFL1010

Visit site
Not sure I understand the logic of avoiding putting a window in the jib by putting a window in the main.

The other option is just to run off the windward telltales. Ease (or head up) until they lift, just like a kite. Takes a bit more concentration since there's no quick way to see that it needs an ease, but...

Ingwe

Visit site
The other option is just to run off the windward telltales. Ease (or head up) until they lift, just like a kite. Takes a bit more concentration since there's no quick way to see that it needs an ease, but...

I have the same problem as the OP and this is what I do with the slight modification of relying on the mast mounted apparent wind display to judge if there has been a lift - this works fine upwind. The bigger problem it causes is having to just judge the car and sheet positions by eye when your white sails reaching which I haven't come up with a good answer to this apart from working up a much more detailed chart of car / sheet positions for a variety of wind angles, but we don't sail at these angles often enough for me to have put the time into doing this yet.

Boo2

Visit site
Sometimes it can be difficult or impossible to see the leeward tell-tales (usually when the sun is shining on the windward side of sail) with a resulting effect on jib trim or helming.

Getting windows retro-fitted doesn't really appeal and the only other alternative I can think of is getting brightly coloured tell-tales instead of my current black ones. Is this likely to work or is there another solution?
De-barnacle-ize the log and wind in the sail according to the reported VMG ?

Boo2

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Sadly I don't think the instruments are a replacement for seeing the tell tales.

Having been out this weekend I noticed that the tell tales are already red rather than black so looks like we might need to get used to this 'feature'

lw395

Visit site
Not sure I understand the logic of avoiding putting a window in the jib by putting a window in the main.

One boat I've sailed, the jib leach tell-tale was by far the most sensitive indicator.
One could also try a line of tell-tales along the mid-chord of the jib and on the main.
It's like sailing in the rain, you have to make the best of any indicators that are visible and working.