inverters and the lies

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
so I want a inverter to be able to boil a kettle a couple of times a day
so being niave I went to ebay and got a 4000w sine inverter
now I am a electrician so understand well that 4000w will happily power a 1800w kettle ... eeerrrr NO it won't
cheap crap from china tells lies , in fact it won't power anything above 450w
so with out having to sell a kidney what can I buy that will boil a kettle and power my laptop and the such please

paulajayne

Visit site
Buy cheap buy twice.
The 4000 watts will be a momentary peak - need to look at continuous power.
Have you got the link to the eBay one?

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
not to hand but I threw it in the bin to be honest
they refunded me but on the front it says 3000w/4000w so I assumes 4000 was the peak

Norman_E

Visit site
Buy 1 kw caravan kettle.

Victron inverters are recommended.
Caravan kettle is the way to go if you want to use an inverter. I had Sterling Power 1500 watt inverter (not pure sine wave) to power a mains voltage fridge compressor and I am pretty sure it would have coped with a 1000 watt kettle. There are even lower wattage kettles available. I have seen them as low as 650 watts.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
not to hand but I threw it in the bin to be honest
they refunded me but on the front it says 3000w/4000w so I assumes 4000 was the peak
This one says 4000W Peak Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V Converter Modified Sine Wave UK

It's a modified sine wave (i.e square wave :D). The specification says "Rated Power: 300W"

It's a super cheap £23 300W inverter.
4000W Peak Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V Converter Modified Sine Wave UK | eBay

It might be similar to the one you bought unless yours was a lot more expensive. You said "sine inverter" as if you meant pure-sine wave, perhaps not.

I think most people would expect a 4000W pure-sine wave inverter to be pretty expensive.

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
This one says 4000W Peak Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V Converter Modified Sine Wave UK

It's a modified sine wave (i.e square wave :D). The specification says "Rated Power: 300W"

It's a super cheap £23 300W inverter.
4000W Peak Car Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V Converter Modified Sine Wave UK | eBay

It might be similar to the one you bought unless yours was a lot more expensive. You said "sine inverter" as if you meant pure-sine wave, perhaps not.

I think most people would expect a 4000W pure-sine wave inverter to be pretty expensive.
the unit was £245

Dodgy Diver

Visit site
I imagine you'd also want to boil more than 250-300 mls and prefer it to happen in less than 15-20 minutes. :D

I think most 12V kettles are pretty limited. Perhaps someone makes a 3000W 12V model but you'd need to site it almost on top of the battery.
it was mounted right next to the battery bank , its easier to move current when the voltage is higher thus smaller cable sizes

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
it was mounted right next to the battery bank , its easier to move current when the voltage is higher thus smaller cable sizes
Yes, exactly my point. I was responding to the comment about getting a 12V kettle.

A 3000w 12V kettle would need to be right next to the battery (in the same place you'd fit a 3000W inverter. They'd both need approx. the same current and that's why I can't see anyone making a 3000W 12V kettle.

12V kettles will be wimpy 100W devices with moderately sized cables. Only able to boil a small volume of water and also take quite a long time to complete the task.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My Chinese inverter boils a small kettle fine. But it is a smaller wattage kettle on a 110 am battery. Sorry about the wind noise

vas

Visit site
victron, mastervolt is what you need. There are a few CN ones that are good, problem is sourcing them! go by size and weight :rolleyes:

My 3000VA victron pure sine inverter/charger (24V system) will happily run a measured 1800W watermaker as long as the batteries can.
Price north of 1k though, weight in the 15-20kg range, bulkhead mounted next to the batteries.

Norman_E

Visit site
OK A bit of theory: It takes 1000 calories to raise 1 liter of water one degree C. Assume you need to get i litre from room temperature of 20C to 100C. That needs 80,000 calories. I watt equals 0.24 calories per second, which means that you need to apply 1000 watts of power for about five and a half minutes, plus extra time to actually boil any of the water, which need the application of 212 calories for every gram boiled. Really its not a job for an inverter and mains kettle, and explains why most of us use gas to heat or boil water on board. I would only consider an electric kettle for brewing a hot drink whilst sailing solo when I did not want to go below and light gas. In that case I would consider a 12 volt travel kettle designed to fit into a car cup holder, and therefor capable of fitting into the cockpit table.