International Woodskin taking an awfully long time to dry

Avocet

Visit site
I'm trying this for the first time on a few small bits of wood. They're indoors - same room as the boiler, in fact, so they're lovely and warm and dry. Put my first coat on yesterday afternoon and they're STILL tacky now! Is that normal? It says 24h before overcoating, but I guess I need them to be at least touch dry before I do that?

Also, does anyone know what International thinners No. 1 is, please? (Just wondering if cleaning the brush afterwards in White Spirit (which seemed to clean it OK) is a bad thing)?

pvb

Visit site
Also, does anyone know what International thinners No. 1 is, please? (Just wondering if cleaning the brush afterwards in White Spirit (which seemed to clean it OK) is a bad thing)?

Thinners No 1 is basically white spirit; perhaps very slightly different, but close enough for you to use white spirit as an alternative.

Visit site
Good evening, I've been doing a fair bit of varnishing recently, and have just become resigned to working around long drying times.
International Schooner, and synthetic polyurethane for internal areas in the galley, both still sticky the day after, despite heated boat.

Nothing ever does what it says on the tin, and yes a warm, not humid drying place is needed.

I'm going to try Int Cetol Filter 7 Plus, because it is meant to be the same as Woodskin, but cheaper, being marketed for house woodwork not yachts. Also in a large range of colours.
I would be interested to know if Filter 7 plus is really the same as Woodskin, if there are any experts reading this!

Last edited:

Cloven

Visit site
I'm trying this for the first time on a few small bits of wood. They're indoors - same room as the boiler, in fact, so they're lovely and warm and dry. Put my first coat on yesterday afternoon and they're STILL tacky now! Is that normal? It says 24h before overcoating, but I guess I need them to be at least touch dry before I do that?

No idea why but I have found that using Woodskin, the first coat seems to take ages to dry on bare wood. Second and subsequent coats dry much more quickly in virtually the same ambient conditions. Maybe some reaction going on with the first coat and the wood. I have also found this to be the case with some other types of paint. Any industrial chemists in the house?

Kelpie

Visit site
I've had varying results using the same tin of Woodskin.
First tried it on the toerail on a reasonably warm and dry day back in the summer, and was very impressed. Nice glossy sheen, much better than I had expected.
Later on in the summer I completed the rest of the toerail (took a while what with good days being few and far between), but some of the last sections came up quite dull and with an almost soft finish.

The last time I used it was on a handrail which I had removed and out down the cabin, back in the Autumn. It came up very poorly indeed- dark, blotchy, no sheen and no feeling of a hard lacquer having been created. I assumed that it might have been humid down in the cabin, so have brought the handrail home to sand down and try again.

I wonder if Woodskin is highly sensitive to humidity?

GrahamM376

Visit site
No idea why but I have found that using Woodskin, the first coat seems to take ages to dry on bare wood. Second and subsequent coats dry much more quickly in virtually the same ambient conditions. Maybe some reaction going on with the first coat and the wood. I have also found this to be the case with some other types of paint. Any industrial chemists in the house?

I found it stays soft for quite a long time.

Been using some water based woodstain from Johnstone's on house gates, has lasted 3 years now, south facing. Wondering if suitable for salty environment. http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products/product-display/satin-woodstain.aspx

Ooops, wrong link. This is the water based, clear or colours - http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products/product-display/quick-dry-satin-woodstain.aspx

Last edited:

toad

Visit site
I have just used Woodskin on a cockpit grating, the first two coats I sprayed using 10% no1 thinners due to the awkwardness of the grating, followed by two coats by brush in the high wear area. This was in the garage over new year and I could overcoat in 24 hours. It dries a nice satin finish. I suspect it did not fully harden for a week or so but its nice and hard now.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I not sure why they say Cetol Filter 7 Plus is not suitable for boats - it always used to be. The base coat should be HLS, as this contains the wood preservatives, then finish off with 2-3 coats of the Filter 7. I used this for years as a replacement (external) for varnish; not quite such a high gloss finish but loads less hassle.

Tim Good

Visit site
I'd say be careful about International Woodskin in humid or differing humidity levels.

I prepared my capping rail after many many days work and put some woodskin on. I then came back another day and put some more on. Totally different shade! Even after 3 months it hasn't blended in. It was prepared in exactly the same way and I can only imagine that the temperature or humidity was different.

International did confirm that batch numbers on the tins I used were ok. They sent me 2 new tins but clearly doesn't make up for the enormous amount of work I put in and haven't to do all over again.

12096102_10153624740693162_7561365145871618597_n.jpg

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I not sure why they say Cetol Filter 7 Plus is not suitable for boats - it always used to be. The base coat should be HLS, as this contains the wood preservatives, then finish off with 2-3 coats of the Filter 7. I used this for years as a replacement (external) for varnish; not quite such a high gloss finish but loads less hassle.

I've been using Filter 7 for at least the last 15 years and I intend to carry on while I can still get it. Compared to the faff of varnish it's superb.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Interesting thread this as my son had the same problem with International Woodskin last year in his I/F Folkboat.
(now for sale with trailer :) )

It was all new timber and the wretched stuff would not dry for days.

We were careful to not put a thick coat on first but I suspect, although heated, the atmosphere was humid.

I've used a waterproof woodstain by Ronseal on my teak saloon cabin sides. I cleaned off well with a light sanding, vacuumed, washed off with acetone and then applied. I've left it under the boat cover over winter and will put another coat or two on before uncovering.

I've found the same product doing what it says on the tin when I applied it to my workshop and Mrs S's 'She Shed'.
It does seem to like a fresh coat each season, but it's so easy to apply, that for exterior timber it's a no brainer for me on my boat.

S.

NPMR

Visit site
The first time I used Woodskin, last year, there were no memorable delays in drying. On to bare wood. or multiple coats.

This year, same tin, same woodwork, and lightly sanded, the first coat took days and days to become touch dry. Even brought the stuff (and the tin) indoors to get drier, warmer air.

I rang International who advised that drying times can be prolonged but gave no indication as to why. He did advise to keep the coats thin, which advice I followed for coats 2 and 3 and they both became touch dry over night, indoors.

They also advised to use Thinners No 1 (and then, quietly "or good quality white spirit").

I also stirred the tin very very thoroughly before putting on coats 2 and 3 - so can't be sure if it was the stirring, the thinner coats or anything else that made the drying times different.

No problems with colour change but it is taking a while to harden to what I hope will be the same as last year - now some weeks after applying, but it is getting better.

Colvic Watson

Visit site

Yes that's normal. used it many times and it dries slowly, but it's great stuff.

Keith 66

Visit site
I have had the same problem with Johnsons Woodstain (not the water based one), put it on the gunwales & thwarts of a new rowing skiff & a week later it was still sticky. For what its worth it was indoors & the weather was dry.
The workshop was not at all humid. Put the boat outside in the sun & wind & it dried within a few hours.
I have found that Iroko is particularly prone to this, havent tried it on teak.
And before anyone tells me Iroko is an oily wood, this batch was old & very very dry!

Avocet

Visit site
Thanks all, that's encouraging. the parts are now all dry enough for a second coat I think. Still soft, but not tacky. (And yes, it IS iroko that I'm putting it on)!

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
My guess is that in certain conditions and with certain timbers the first coat may need to be thinned 50/50 and put on very thinly. Then the next coat less thinners etc.

Somewhere in the archives of ybw I've said that my great grandfather used to give the apprentice an egg cup of varnish and told him to go varnish the newly built little clinker dinghy and to use no more varnish than that.

It took him a while to realise he could use turpentine to thin the varnish as much as he needed to.

God quality varnish finish is not best gained by putting on a couple of thick coats but by putting many thin coats on and building up the thickness. De-nibbing is best done with fine grade wet and dry. imho

S.

Last edited: