International Perfection Plus 2 pack varnish?

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've checked the International Paints website and it looks like perfection plus varnish is now "retired".
It's still available for sale on various websites.
Is that correct or am I miss reading the website?
Is this just an EU-UK ban, or world wide? I see it's still for sale on USA websites.
Does anyone know the reason why its being retired?
Suggestions for a replacement 2 pack varnish? I'm NOT interested in oil based varnishes, I need something which is hard and durable.

Sea Change

Visit site
Perfection paint is also no longer available. I'm not sure if they're bringing out a replacement.
I'm probably going to switch to Epifanes. Maybe I'll have more luck with the hardener shelf life, which was always terrible for Perfection.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
How do you legally dispose of International Perfection part A, when part B has gone solid?
I've looked on various websites and most of the suggestions are totally inappropriate. The only one which might work is find a way of making solid, leaving the lid off and letting it evaporate, or mixing it with something, sand or earth is suggested.
Neither of these seem environmentally sound.
Is there anything I could mix it with to make it set?

VicS

Visit site
How do you legally dispose of International Perfection part A, when part B has gone solid?
I've looked on various websites and most of the suggestions are totally inappropriate. The only one which might work is find a way of making solid, leaving the lid off and letting it evaporate, or mixing it with something, sand or earth is suggested.
Neither of these seem environmentally sound.
Is there anything I could mix it with to make it set?
Local household waste disposal place?

The notes for ours say:-
"Paint can only be taken to your local household waste recycling centre to be disposed of for no charge.. It is preferable if it is dry and hardened, although the sites can accept wet paint in the size of paint tin you would normally use for household projects usually up to 5 litres.
No commercial paint or large tins will be accepted."

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Our local recycling centre has a big sign saying "NO PAINT".
The Aberdeenshire recycling website reiterates that and suggest, evaporation and mixing with something inert.
They also say no liquids, expect used oil, which goes in a separate tank.
The general waste goes to land fill or incineration, and I guess they are concerned about seepage from land fill, and a explosive reaction in an incinerator.

Sea Change

Visit site
Apparently the no.3 hardener (which is called 'brushing converter') from Awlgrip is the same stuff as Perfection part B, and is available separately.
Horribly expensive though.

Jim@sea

Visit site
I've checked the International Paints website and it looks like perfection plus varnish is now "retired".
It's still available for sale on various websites.
Is that correct or am I miss reading the website?
Is this just an EU-UK ban, or world wide? I see it's still for sale on USA websites.
Does anyone know the reason why its being retired?
Suggestions for a replacement 2 pack varnish? I'm NOT interested in oil based varnishes, I need something which is hard and durable.
When I started spraying cars in the late 1970's ICI introduced 2 pack paint and I started spraying with it and I realised that it would be a good paint to use on boats, both on hulls and timber. This is before International Paint started selling 2 pack paint. I particularly remember in 1980 hand painting the wooden superstructure of a Nauticat 33 and 3 years later it was still perfect. The only drawback being if you did not use all you had mixed whatever you had left over would have set in the tin. Using acetone to thin it and wash your brushes out is useful.
Since then whenever I wanted a "varnish" type of 2 pack paint I have gone to a Bodyshop Paint Supplier and bought a 2 pack Clear over Base lacquer, which works for me.

Obviously when I started using 2 pack paint (sprayed a car every day) people di not know that if you walked past a tin of Isocianta 2 pack paint and inhaled the fumes you would drop dead and all the leaves would fall off the trees.

And when I needed to paint the bilges of a deep keel boat instead of using Damboline which is single pack I chose a Perkins Engine Grey and hand painted that, but that was a bit dangerous as with 2 pack paint hardening/drying very quickly down in the bilges the fumes were getting to me so I got my Henry vack, put the extraction hose where I was working and the vac on the cockpit floor and the fumes went away, although I should say "don't do as I did" as what they use in paint today could be worse.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I was using International 2-pack polyurethane paint on my sailing dinghy as early as 1964. All the other owners in the class seemed to swear by it except those whose boats were varnished. It was not a good idea on clinker-built dinghy however as mine at least had leaks that no longer took up quickly.