International Certificate of Competance

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am being given contradictory advice as to whether an ICC is needed for a sailing trip France. Is strictly required or not or just recommended?

Thank you.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
To my understanding it's a bit like cars: If OK by national rules & legislation it is OK also abroad.

E. g. your UK car legally can pull a given trailer, that the same car is not allowed abroad by their rules, you're still allowed.

Also, I'm not aware of any internationally approved leisure boating certificates. As opposed to commercial, where things are much more aligned for obvious reasons.

In addition to boat documents etc. you will need a CEVNI, though:
Online CEVNI test - ICC for European waterways

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I have spent 12 years boating in France and Spain and never been asked for any proof of competence (ICC or anything else).
I have never been asked for proof of VAT either. I have been just once asked for my passport by some patrolling customs officers wandering through the marina we were visiting for a day or two.

ChromeDome

Visit site
I have spent 12 years boating in France and Spain and never been asked for any proof of competence (ICC or anything else).
I have never been asked for proof of VAT either. I have been just once asked for my passport by some patrolling customs officers wandering through the marina we were visiting for a day or two.

Same for me in Australia, Denmark, Germany, Greece, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Sweden.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
I have these but I see that the RYA are quoting 6 weeks at the moment…
I have been waiting since 6th May for mine to come through and still nothing.
And to think they charge £47 for this service!
To my mind it just shows what a useless organisation the RYA is - hardly providing a good service to yachts men and women.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
To my mind it just shows what a useless organisation the RYA is - hardly providing a good service to yachts men and women.
We all know the maritime industry works on tidal cycles, not an instant response.

Is it the RYA or the printer that is causing the hold up? Have you called them and asked what the delay is?

ICC is or was free for ;Dazed Kipper; holders. Has that changed?

Praxinoscope

Visit site

The RYA website warns that there is a 5-6 week delay in issuing a new ICC, so your wait will be about normal , especially as there was a long bank holiday to cope with in the period from May 6th and as with many organisations they are probably still having to manage backlogs which were generated during the Covid pandemic.
The £47 fee is for non- members, why should any organisation offer a free service to those who don’t support it by being members, looking at the application requirements for the issue of an ICC is not a simple process to issue what is a document that has to have international acceptance.
There are a lot of things about the RYA that deserve criticism, but I don’t think the issuing of ICC‘s is an area that is one of them.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
In many countries, qualifications are required of their citizens for the operation of pleasure craft. In these countries they accept the national qualifications of visiting skippers, as is international custom. However, as no official qualifications are required of skippers in UK or Ireland, no qualifications are required of these skippers when they visit other countries

jamie N

Visit site
I've twice been asked for my passport and nothing else. Once in Stornoway, and once in Kirkwall!
I'm told that I "just look & sound dodgy", by my wife...... ?

ChromeDome

Visit site
Tried to point to that in #3 :)

In many countries, qualifications are required of their citizens for the operation of pleasure craft. In these countries they accept the national qualifications of visiting skippers, as is international custom. However, as no official qualifications are required of skippers in UK or Ireland, no qualifications are required of these skippers when they visit other countries

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I've twice been asked for my passport and nothing else. Once in Stornoway, and once in Kirkwall!

I've been inspected in Stornoway as well. I reckon it's because the Border Force cutter is only parked on the next pontoon down and it takes the inspecting officer only 2 minutes to waddle across to the visitors' pontoon. They can then report to their masters in London how diligent they are and how many boats they have inspected, and then return to their warm cosy cabin 5 minutes later for more tea and another doughnut.

Last edited: