intermitent rev counter

G

check what the port voltmeter says. If it reads 14V when the tacho works, and 12V when it doesn't, then check the alternator diode pack. Mine is similarly intermittent, but I just have't got round to checking it yet...

claymore

Visit site
Perhaps the engine is doing the same?
My rev counter usually responds to a sharp smack - unlike my wife...but thats another story.

regards
Claymore

G

Ian, I had a similar problem which was finally traced to a dodgy alternator. Something to do with lack of excitation (serious).
I got it excited and it now works fine.

Bernie

dickh

Visit site
I also had a tacho that would only work when you revved and then dropped to zero below about 2000 RPM - the ignition light also didn't go out so now it's at the local alternator repairer, hope to pick it up this afternoon and refit it tonight. He said the regulator was gone but had trouble finding a replacement because it was it was insulated return. Hopefully will be much cheaper than a new one from Perkins - they wanted over £400!!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Ian. At the risk of stating the obvious. Have you checked the cable at the alternator and at the back of the tacho to see if they are clean and tight fitting?

Andavagoodweekend. Old Salt Oz......