Interesting new launch

flaming

Visit site
Grand Soleil BLUE- Grand Soleil

GS "daysailer" eco boat concept. All electric, made with end of life in mind.

All quite interesting, if quite predictable for a boat pushing its green credentials.

But what really grabbed me was the spec... At 3,300kg it's over half a tonne lighter than my JPK of the same size, which is not a heavy boat... And it sets more sail. Add in that the waterline looks pretty narrow, and what you have here is a boat that is going to excel in light breezes. Which of course is exactly what you need if you're going to be doing the least amount of motoring possible.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Your link takes me to a completely blank page.

P.S. Could be my elderly iPad out-of-date, can’t-be-updated operating system.
Works ok for me.

Nice concept. Slightly reminds me of the Wauquiez Optio (but with all of the green claims added on).

I don’t see it catching on in the UK, but definite appeal to the type of buyer in places like St Tropez who spends their cash on Tofinou etc.

dunedin

Visit site
Nice looking boat. Quite a lot of choice for an 8-12m fast day sailer / weekender, almost all of which now offer electric drive options. Lots of new models in each issue of Yachting World.
For the well to do with a waterside home / flat in warm climes these are a better option than a conventional cruising yacht.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not sure I like the electric propulsion idea. I mean- we have just had a CAV filter issue thread- How do you change the CAV filter if running on to the rocks when it loses power as you enter the harbour? :unsure:

Daydream believer

Visit site
It's changing the CAV filter that persuades somebody to ditch it all and go electric !
Probably have a Taycan parked in the marina
Seriously- How do they recharge the batteries on such boats. Do they rely on shore power? What if no wind whatsoever & a strong adverse tide when away for a weekend. They, presumably, cannot use the power for long. Sailing in such conditions could become a total boring pain. If I think that I may need to motor for longer I take an extra can of fuel. They can hadly take a few extra batteries. Taking a generator sort of breaks the rules does it not?

dunedin

Visit site
Seriously- How do they recharge the batteries on such boats. Do they rely on shore power? What if no wind whatsoever & a strong adverse tide when away for a weekend. They, presumably, cannot use the power for long. Sailing in such conditions could become a total boring pain. If I think that I may need to motor for longer I take an extra can of fuel. They can hadly take a few extra batteries. Taking a generator sort of breaks the rules does it not?
Shore power (16A seems fine if not in a hurry) plus regeneration when sailing. Lots of folks do short hops or day sails between marina berths - they're not cruising types.
(Some even manage without anchors :) )

flaming

Visit site
Shore power, regen whilst sailing and solar.

The point of my post though was to point out that unlike a lot of "shove an electric drive in an existing yacht" type projects, they've quite clearly designed a boat that is going to sail well in light winds as a first step. So you're only really going to be motoring into and out of port, or when there really is no wind. In winds of 6 knots or more this boat will be doing at least 5 knots I would suggest.

And frankly, if there is no wind for a weekend, why are you trying to go long distances? I've never understood the people who, faced with a forecast of naff all for the whole weekend motor for 7 hours to get somewhere, then motor back the next day. Plan suitable destinations for the weekend.....

Tranona

Visit site
Shore power, regen whilst sailing and solar.

The point of my post though was to point out that unlike a lot of "shove an electric drive in an existing yacht" type projects, they've quite clearly designed a boat that is going to sail well in light winds as a first step. So you're only really going to be motoring into and out of port, or when there really is no wind. In winds of 6 knots or more this boat will be doing at least 5 knots I would suggest.

And frankly, if there is no wind for a weekend, why are you trying to go long distances? I've never understood the people who, faced with a forecast of naff all for the whole weekend motor for 7 hours to get somewhere, then motor back the next day. Plan suitable destinations for the weekend.....
Another illustration of what came out of the thread on the ICOMIA report. Electric opens up the possibility for different kinds of boats and one of the most obvious is daysailers/weekenders like this one. Several other actual or planned in here dotted among a whole range of different types of mainly substitutes for diesels many of which illustrate the compromises needed.
oceanvolt.com/category/testimonials/private/monohull/

Daydream believer

Visit site
On the contrary. I enjoy motoring 27 miles along the coast to, say, Shotley, or further,-60 miles- to lowestoft- 49 to Ramsgate. Meeting friends, dining in a local, then motoring back. So no wind makes little difference. If there is enough breeze, up goes the sails. If not, set the autohelm sit back & enjoy the view. Destination , pre planned regardless of weather. On the other hand it may be a thrash to windward. 🤣

Ingwe

Visit site
Nice looking boat, I disagree slightly and think sail wise it may be a little bit under powered for a chunk of it's target market as it's an ideal lake day sailor and I know a lot of the similar boats on somewhere like lake Geneva will run 120sqm as there big kites. Overall it makes a lot of sense as if ICE propulsion is going to banned anywhere in the near future it is likely that it will be on some of the inland lakes where they are trying to cut down on pollution.

flaming

Visit site
On the contrary. I enjoy motoring 27 miles along the coast to, say, Shotley, or further,-60 miles- to lowestoft- 49 to Ramsgate. Meeting friends, dining in a local, then motoring back. So no wind makes little difference. If there is enough breeze, up goes the sails. If not, set the autohelm sit back & enjoy the view. Destination , pre planned regardless of weather. On the other hand it may be a thrash to windward. 🤣
Good grief.

Well, takes all sorts I suppose!

Bobc

Visit site
Nice looking boat, I disagree slightly and think sail wise it may be a little bit under powered for a chunk of it's target market as it's an ideal lake day sailor and I know a lot of the similar boats on somewhere like lake Geneva will run 120sqm as there big kites. Overall it makes a lot of sense as if ICE propulsion is going to banned anywhere in the near future it is likely that it will be on some of the inland lakes where they are trying to cut down on pollution.
Yes, as a lake boat, I agree that it looks ideal.

B27

Visit site
Quite a bit of greenwashing vs not building the silly toy in the first place.
It's a study. It's a game to take money from the EU to produce green BS.
There is no boat.

The concept is cat C.

There are a few artist's impressions showing a few solar panels shaded by the mast.

dunedin

Visit site
It's a study. It's a game to take money from the EU to produce green BS.
There is no boat.

The concept is cat C.

There are a few artist's impressions showing a few solar panels shaded by the mast.
There are plenty of boats of that nature being built. I have seen and touched some of them.
It’s a different market from the Ben/Jen/Bav cruisers. Price is less of an issue, performance and style more.
Spirit Yachts are a UK builder of boats in this segment, albeit theirs are very much at the wooden / retro end of this segment.

Daydream believer

Visit site
In the Salona item it mentions improved safety. I am not convinced. If I need extra miles I take an extra 20 litre cans of fuel. If I run out of fuel, without realising it, I carry a 5 litre can to get me into port. I never put that in unless I actually run out.I know that I have no alternative but to sail to within 1.5 hours of motoring. But that is always dooable if i have sails. If not enough wind I do have an anchor. I cannot see how it can be safe if one accidentally runs out of electric power & cannot immediately top that up. Presumably one has to have a spare battery bank sitting idle for such an event