Interesting new launch

Tranona

Visit site
It's a study. It's a game to take money from the EU to produce green BS.
There is no boat.

The concept is cat C.

There are a few artist's impressions showing a few solar panels shaded by the mast.
They have to start somewhere. This type of boat is aimed at a "new" market not as a substitute for existing cruisers. Unlikely to find many customers in the UK as our conditions are not suited to what the boat has to offer. However for rich Europeans it (and the other similar offerings) has a lot to offer as a weekend or holiday plaything.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Good grief.

Well, takes all sorts I suppose!
By way of explanation. I am 77, so physical effort becomes harder. A single handed sailor for years. Been there done it, had the T shirt. Just fitted a larger engine in the boat, so I now can get more knots instead of difficult sailing. Besides what is wrong with a nice motor up the river Blackwater, Crouch or Orwell, The river Trieux, the Little Russel etc. Sit back & enjoy life in the sun while a brand new engine chugs quietly away & one does 6.5 kts with ease. Wave to passing vessels. Plus , of course, a cup of coffee in one's hand.
People complain about yachts motoring, when they could be sailing- But why. I enjoy navigation & departure/arriving at a destination as much as the actual sailing. When the sails are up the Aries is usually hooked up anyway.

flaming

Visit site
People complain about yachts motoring, when they could be sailing- But why. I enjoy navigation & departure/arriving at a destination as much as the actual sailing. When the sails are up the Aries is usually hooked up anyway.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that if the winds are suitable to sail 40-50 miles in a day then great. If they're not still go out, just don't go as far... Spending 10 hours with the donk on just to be in a different harbour - then turn around and motor back the next day....
Seems mad to me... If the winds are light, just pick a closer destination.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that if the winds are suitable to sail 40-50 miles in a day then great. If they're not still go out, just don't go as far... Spending 10 hours with the donk on just to be in a different harbour - then turn around and motor back the next day....
Actually I have always been a sail a day rest a day sailor. So to sail back the next day has been a rareity for me, for the past 20 years. I always have left 1 day for rest , even going 25 miles up the coast, whether returning or going on. 2 days on the 100 M plus legs.

B27

Visit site
Sometimes it's worth it in the hope of a good sail back the next day.

The way it worked last season, we might set off and not be able to trust the forecast, so you'd motor for an hour expecting the wind to pick up, then another hour, then the wind would pick up, later it would die, so we did a couple of 40 mile trips under engine for most of the way.
Away from the Solent, there might not be much in the way of closer destinations.

Without a motor, good performance in light air would be imperative, and 40 mile trips might take two tides.

B27

Visit site
There are plenty of boats of that nature being built. I have seen and touched some of them.
It’s a different market from the Ben/Jen/Bav cruisers. Price is less of an issue, performance and style more.
Spirit Yachts are a UK builder of boats in this segment, albeit theirs are very much at the wooden / retro end of this segment.
Indeed, it's a well worn path of paper studies and actual boats, so what does this particular dip into the EU funding trough bring to the party?

MisterBaxter

Visit site
It looks like a fun boat to me, assuming a warm climate, reasonably balmy weather, clement seas and an agenda based on pure sybaritic sailing pleasure from a home port in an area where there are pleasant anchorages all around for lunch, swimming and siestas. Horses for courses.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I'm more of a "comfortable cruising boat" kind of person and possibly even developing a yen for motor-sailers so this boat is definitely not my cup of tea. But I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the use of thermoplastic materials in the hull moulding and sails. They may make recycling easier but for structural stability they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

B27

Visit site
What is the “dip into EU funding trough“ to which you refer? And if there is EU finding, why would that be an issue to a Uk forum.
I didn't realise this was a UK-only forum.
The funding is acknowledged at the end of the page linked to.

awol

Visit site
I wonder if "Big Sun" realised that accepting EU largesse for their concept would be a hindrance for them in the less than lucrative UK market? And yet it seems ideal for sailors whose horizons extend to 40nm day trips followed by a day of battery recuperation, no need to worry about anchoring.

boomerangben

Visit site
Looks wise it isn’t my cup of tea but the concept is attractive. If I’m going to have a sailing boat, I want to sail it and the motor is just to get you out of the awkward bits. If I am truly honest with myself I don’t really enjoy motoring for hours on end. Mind you if the drive is silent it might become more attractive.

I suppose the concept would work for many people but range anxiety is always going to be a psychological barrier to realising the full potential of the market. How many weekend trips need more than a day 70 mile range? How many week long trips need more than 70 miles? And how many of those do not visit a marina for at least one night? And 70 miles is about the range of a boat that size if you trade a 20hp diesel and 110ltr tank for an Ocean volt system weight for weight

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Looks wise it isn’t my cup of tea but the concept is attractive. If I’m going to have a sailing boat, I want to sail it and the motor is just to get you out of the awkward bits. If I am truly honest with myself I don’t really enjoy motoring for hours on end. Mind you if the drive is silent it might become more attractive.

I suppose the concept would work for many people but range anxiety is always going to be a psychological barrier to realising the full potential of the market. How many weekend trips need more than a day 70 mile range? How many week long trips need more than 70 miles? And how many of those do not visit a marina for at least one night? And 70 miles is about the range of a boat that size if you trade a 20hp diesel and 110ltr tank for an Ocean volt system weight for weight
We've never motored more than about 5 miles. And even then we’d have been motorsailing for a fair chunk. Presumably this wee beastie is meant to do much the same. This year we hope to improve on that with a code 0 sail. That increases our upwind area to nearly 80sq m. Downwind we don’t carry as much as the Grand Soleil, but then we generate more apparent wind. I think the concept is perfectly viable for coastal cruising, it’s whether there are enough willing punters to give it a go. Is there a big enough gap between, say, Pogo 30 customers and Dragonfly customers.

Stemar

Visit site
Not my lottery win boat, but I can see how it would suit others, so I'm not going to knock it. It just seems unhelpful to criticise a Lotus 7 because the aircon's rubbish and then criticise a Roller because it's no good for a track day. Buy the one that suits you and let others do the same. After all, for most of us it'll be neither.