Intentionally making a 'wet room' in our old boat

cygnusv

www.best-camping-stoves.com
Our toilet cum shower is only 3 feet wide, but has actually worked extremely well for more than 10 years. We now intend to do our best to make it look good too!

We're 2 weeks from coming out of the water for maintenance, and replacement of a couple of ribs where the wet room is to be. When I start the wet room work I will have a door, a bulkhead either side and the curve of the hull facing me. I want to protect the bulkheads from water ingress. I also want to make a 'unit' against the hull with a sink to the left and some type of indent to the right to angle a porta-potti. The floor needs some kind of shower base that will funnel off shower water to a remote storage tank for pumping out.

My main concerns are:-

I envisage my sink unit to be a vertical face - to square the hull curve - and a horizontal area for the sink and 'stuff'. Clearly this structure MUST be waterproof. Any thoughts about a suitable structural material?

The shower floor. I'm looking for a small, mass produced waterproof thing that will both collect the water and provide a flat area for the porta- potty. Any thoughts? The usable area will only be about 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep. Not a lot I know, but for toilet and shower use it is enough. Any thoughts? Note - Getting a bigger boat has already been abandoned for the time being.

Visit site
I'd consider looking in RV suppliers' catalogued for your floor and drainage fitting. And instead of a Port-Potti, you might consider a swivelling Thetford with self-contained tank. If the tank's big enough for you, fine, and if not you should be able to plumb it to a larger holding tank. In either case, the swivelling feature can help make better use of the small space you'll have.

Mike

DownWest

Visit site
As for material, marine ply coated with époxy seems to work quite well in boat hulls.... Do nice fillets at all the joins, makes cleaning easier. I would have thought your chances of finding a ready made tray to fit are a bit slim.

Last edited: