Integrated instruments - just what is the point - on sailing craft?

G

I'm in the middle of installing new instruments, having chosen Raytheon's ST40 range. A big selling point is they can all talk to each other, using Seatalk or NMEA0183. What is the benefit of this? On a motor vessel, I suppose that you could, in theory, get all the instruments set up so that she could steer herself. But would anybody want to? And on a sailing vessel, with endless wind shifts......? Is it all just good marketing of products , many of whose functions we'll never use? I'm not a technophobe - I actually like new technology so I'd like nothing more than for someone to show me where I've missed the plot - if indeed I have!!

G

ITS GREAT FOR SHORT HANDED SAILING - YOU CAN GET THE BOAT TO TACK ITSELF (WILE U ATTEND TO THE GIB). IF U HAVE THE WIND INSTRUMENTS YOU CAN SAIL TO ANY GIVEN WIND ANGLE SO WINDSHIFTS TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES, WHILE UR BELOW MAKING A CUP OF TEA.IF YOU HAVE THEM CONNECTED TO A GPS DOWN BELOW YOU CAN USE THEM AS A REPEATER IT

G

Plus all the relivent info can be used and displayed on a chart plotter or computer. NM

NM

G

Advantages

Mark,

The most relevant point is that you only need 1 display device to show level speed position and wind direction. This works out well for the likes of me who keep the chart plotter and primary devices at the wheel but repeat the position wind speed etc at the nav. table on one multiple indicator.

Also, if one indicator breaks, you can read out on another.

Good Sailing,, Gaz.